Saturday, January 14, 2023

Busy, But Not Much to Report

It was a busy and fun week again. We had 2-3 days of sunshine and mid-forties temperatures, melting much of the snow and allowing us to get out for walks. It’s always a mood brightened to get out and soak up some rays!

This morning is my second New Owner class for my new Bernina 570QE. I’m happy to report that she (still unnamed, any ideas?) and I are getting along famously, and it’s become second nature operating her. The class of about 8 of us (plus teacher) is a fun group, and we are mostly named Cathy (slightly less than half). That cracks me up because at my Weight Watchers workshop on Tuesday mornings (when younger folk are at work), there are always lots of women named Cathy (and Ann) and men named Tony. We’re all Boomers, naturally!

I did get the Bow Ties blocks sewn together into a 42x48 top. It joins the stack of to-be-sandwiched and quilted stack, now numbering four. Good grief! Didn’t I just do a Finishing Frenzy in November and December? Yes, I did - and I never shared the fact that I finished 24 little quilts in that frenzy. How can there be four more already?

January’s color for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge is dark and bright blue. My first block for this week was the Split Nine Patch, which I made a couple years ago and absolutely loved. When it works, it works. Here are my 16 blocks for this month. 


Then I got the urge to start whittling away some of the blue strings. I decided to start in the center of each block with a navy string and work out through the various colored strings, ending up with the brights at the two sides. It made an interesting ombre effect, and I was surprisingly able to keep that up for all 56 blocks. Here they are just slapped up (sideways) on the design board. The papers are even removed! I’ll get them sewn together this coming week. 

My friend Ruby brought over a chunk of cute fabric that she’d found at an estate sale and gifted it to me. It had been sewn into curtains and parts were faded. I cut away all the bad parts and was then able to cut over forty 6.5” blocks. I’ll use them as the center in Happy blocks and make two quilts from them. 

I may have enough dark and bright blue 2.5” strips to frame up 20 of them and finish up another quilt top. We’ll see. If not, I can throw in a few other color strips. The bright print gives me lots of choices.

That’s it for today. Keeping it short and sweet (like me! HA!) so I can get to my morning class!! Thanks for dropping by! 

20 comments:

  1. Wow! Your blue projects this week are all winners in my book! Love the split 9-patch blocks laid out like that too. But the blue strings are my favorite. Just lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all your finished tops. Like the way you arranged the strings in the blue string block. Having a constant centre string always makes the finished quilt more striking I think. Great job on making the most of that curtain fabric for Happy Blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice bowtie quilt - I always like that design. To me a sewing machine is a sewing machine (a thing) LOL I have never named them, I know some people do and some people give their car a name as well, I just never have

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! Beautiful blue scraps and gorgeous blocks!!! I like also the bow tie top.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perhaps, not a lot to report by your standards, but I think you did a great job on your Dark/Bright BLUE scraps this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many wonderful projects and they are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Not much to report," she says, and then posts several beautiful projects! LOL! I love the strings and may steal that idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your blue strings are just singing the blues for sure;))) Lovely fabrics in there...
    you've gotten more done than I have for sure...glad you are happy with your new machine...
    hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  9. OOH! Love the blues! So pretty! Your bowtie quilt is beautiful. Fun jungle fabric. Glad you are getting to know your new sewing machine. Having a Bernina myself, I just call her 'Nina'. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loving those strings! Wonderful effects! I had some of that colorful jungle print. Used in one of the first baby quilt I every made!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your blue string blocks look very elegant with the middle navy strip, that's a great idea. And what a great find that old curtain was, those blocks will look with the jungle print.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your blue projects are wonderful, but those little bowties are calling my name! There might be a bowtie quilt in my future. Oh, and by the way, congratulations on your Finishing Frenzy. Twenty-four quilts, woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That jungle fabric is cute, and will go perfectly with your blue strips, Cathy! Pretty blue string blocks, too. I'm liking your Split 9s with the center square better than the ones I made with a center HST. I might need to start over!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The strings with dark center are so pretty. Funny how just that little bit of consistency ties it all together. Sounds like you are ready for another finishing frenzy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A bounty of beautiful blues and bowties to boot. Add the Bernina and you're in business!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You've been busy! Well done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOVE the blue string blocks! I definitely need to do a string project this year, just trying to decide what design route to take.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Not much to report??? Beautiful bow ties. OMG, love the ombre effect of blue strings. You are always finishing. They should call you the Finisher :-) Big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  19. ooooh - that blue string project makes my heart sing!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!