Saturday, October 9, 2021

Scraps in the LImelight

October’s color for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge is lime or light green. We did the darker half of the green spectrum earlier in the year. In between all my catch-up sewing from the last couple months plus some secret sewing to be revealed later this month, I did whip out my bucket of green scraps and sort through those I wanted to take aim at this month. But before I get to that, let me  show you the one finish I had this week.

As I said, I’m trying to play catch-up, since the studio remodel put me way behind on finishing quilts for Quilts for Kids. This is the second of the two orange scrappy quilt whose tops I sewed in September when we were focusing on orange. I showed the orange string quilt (Orangesicle Strings) last week. This orange quilt is a hodgepodge of orange blocks, parts, squares, strips and crumbs that I quilted up this week.

It measures  40.5 x 48.5” and is quilted in a loopy design. The binding is folded over from the back and machine sewn, just as our chapter of QFK prefers. I used up a couple of old orange chunks for the back. I wanted to get a picture of it outdoors with the changing leaves, but it’s been rainy and dark the last couple days. Oh well. 

In green news, I finished 12 framed four-patch blocks. My only plan for these is just to sew them up and wait for a use to come along. At 8.5” each unfinished, they’ll be a useful size to insert into hodgepodge quilt as fillers.


Yep, some dark green snuck in there, but in the overall scheme of things it doesn’t really matter. The scraps are the boss, you know. 

And here is the current quilt-in-process on the design board. Perfect for lime green month! I have the length about right, but will have to add something to the sides to bolster up the width.


It’s partially sewn and partially pinned. And I do intend to match the seam in that horizontal chevron strip.  But my first step is always just to arrange these strips and off-cuts that I get donated to see if they are cohesive enough in color and theme to cover enough area for a quilt top. 

The goal is to get this one to the finish line this week, along with two other fish-themed tops that are ready to be pin basted. Those three quilts will bring me current with QFK finishes as far as RSC colors go. Speaking of the RSC, come check out Scrappy Saturday

******************

This week I cobbled together this little arrangement of flowers and other bits of interest from the last gasps of our garden this season. Besides roses, delphinium and zinnias, I added pods from our trumpet vine and fronds (small branches) from our dwarf Japanese maple. 


Our rains are forecast to stop about mid-week, so I hope to get my bulbs planted and bring in any last tomatoes before the first frost hits. Also, I saw a flower at the garden center that I am coveting - an echibeckia. It’s a cross between a coneflower (echinacea) and a Black-eyed Susan (rudbeckia). They were actually developed in 2015, and there are several varieties to chose from. But this is the first time I’ve seen (or at least noticed) one locally. Does it say “autumn” or what?!?

Photo Credit: Perennials.com

Oh, and did I tell you?!? My washing machine has been giving me trouble for a few weeks now and is getting wonkier by the week. The programming is screwy. Sometimes when I push a button to do X, it will say Y. That is, if it will even acknowledge me. I would love to go back to simpler technology. At any rate, we did our research and bought a new washer and dryer that will be delivered next Thursday. They will remove and haul away these old monster front-loaders on pedestals and install our new dryer and top-loading washer. The only catch is that I have to clear a path to the laundry room from the back basement door. That means moving 2 sewing tables and 2 plastic storage drawer units. *Sigh* 

Have a great week!

14 comments:

  1. Your orange quilt is fun and happy! I hadn't thought to do that kind of binding on a donation quilt for a child, but I will now. Love seeing your green things - both quilty and growing. Hooray for a new washer and dryer - it will be worth it in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. An orange finish, some GREEN blocks, AND a new QFK in the works? You are SEW energetic, Cathy!! Sorry you have to move a portion of your studio around again for the new washer and dryer, but I'm sure it will be worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Orange and lime green are the perfect colors to chase away the winter blues!
    Doesn't it just figure? You get it all fixed so it's usable and you have to pull it all apart again! ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for a new washer and dryer! Few things improve your life like those, even if they are a pain to get delivered. Great orange finish and green start!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your echibeckia is the perfect bridge from orange to green. Does the echibeckia like tp spread like the rudbeckia or is it better behaved?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your Orangesicle quilt--nice job on that!!
    Great idea to pin up those green strips on the wall; I usually just grab from a stash bag and go to it--but this gives you a nice preview...
    So sorry to hear you have to MOVE stuff around AGAIN!! Take care not to hurt yourself...
    Hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the flower too ... you should definitely go get one or three! Love the orange quilt and all the quiltiness in this post. I can't believe your luck having to "rearrange" your studio again. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the way you put these quilts together in color families. and you have so many parts to work with !!! always great quilts, especially love the orange one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well having to move tables and bins again so soon means clutter doesn't have a chance to accumulate. Hopefully after this, you can settle in and just sew. The orange orphan quilt is wonderful.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love all the color and movement in the orange QFK quilt! Good start with your green scraps; I'm reminded I have a stack of 4-patches from a previous RSC that might work with frames...
    Thanks for the flower show - I didn't know you had mad skilz with flowers! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness - just the THOUGHT of having to move furniture once again must be absolutely overwhelming! I've never heard of that flower but it certainly is gorgeous and I can see why you would covet one (or several!).

    ReplyDelete
  12. “It’s always something”! My mom always used to say! I have old washer and dryer and have been wishing for a new front loader, but maybe I wouldn’t like it!
    I think your orange scrappy quilt is truly awesome! I hope fall brings back some “normalcy” to you. And you can get back to doing your awesomeness!
    I am going to look for echinbeckia! It’s gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't know...I think every time you show a quilt or four I decide that quilt has my favorite color, first it was orange, then I saw the green. Somehow you make every color so beautiful!
    Thank goodness I can leave the appliance stuff to my daughter now! I did buy a new range for the kitchen after we had lived here for a year. The old one had burners that tipped to one side or the other and that was so hard to cook with, then the oven smelled when we tried to use it.
    I just saw those flowers on a gardening site I follow. They are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Please share as you read okay you may save a soul today, natural herbs are really great, I was cured from HSV by a doctor called DR Okiti from West Africa, now I believe that natural herbs and roots has their own way of working, based on medical report I was told that HSV has no cure even when I saw a post about Dr Okiti how he cured many people with his herbal medicine I doubted it at first but just decided to give it a try because I was so desperately trying to get rid of my problems not knowing it was going to be the end of this deadly virus in my body, please if you have anyone with this same virus or diseases like this contact Dr Okiti via email drokitiherbalhome100@gmail.com or whatsapp ‪+1 (484) 393‑5484‬. I'm a living testimony of his herbal medicine and don't forget to share as you read okay, please save a soul today.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!