Saturday, September 21, 2019

A Fabric Bomb Went Off...

On Monday morning, I was able to return to the estate sale mentioned in last week's post. The sale was over, the family had given their blessing to donating all the remaining fabric to Quilts for Kids, and I had a clean, empty vehicle to haul it all away with.  If I'm being honest, I was hoping there would be more of the Vast Fabulousness of Unbelievable Quantities of Quilting Cottons left. But beggars can't be choosers, as they say, and there ended up being more there than I initially thought. Luckily, after struggling up the stairs from the basement sewing room at the estate sale with my first hand-truck full of bags and bins, I had help from some kind gentlemen with the last two loads.  

When I got home, I had to cart it all downstairs to sort because Bruce is still under doctor's orders not to lift more than 10 pounds.  I wish I'd gotten better pictures, but this was the beginning of some of the sorting - dividing things by fabric type and by color.


QFK doesn't use holiday fabrics (Christmas, patriotic), nor do they use flannels for backs. Those were sorted out. Also, as I was packing up while still at the estate sale, I tried to filter out obvious pieces of clothing (possibly to be robbed for fabric?) and knits and bottom-weight cottons (canvas, duck). But there were still some of those in there as well. So, besides the keeper fabric, I had a thrift store pile and a pile for others (friends and other charities) to go through.


That was a happy occupation for Monday and Tuesday. On Wednesday was our sewing day (me, Cousin Kim and Bonnae). After they were done with the flannels and holiday stuff, the remainders went into my thrift store pile or the QFK pile (flannel bolts for some members to take to other charities).  Anyway, after all was sorted, there were over 100 yards of usable cotton fabric (that's where I stopped counting) for QFK. Plus there was a box of large batting pieces to frankensew together, a large box into which I'd sorted just fabric strips, and a bagful of cut or cut/sewn quilt blocks that could make an additional four quilts.  A great haul at a great price - FREE!  I dropped it all off at my friend Sandy's house on Friday. She's the president of the Salt Lake Quilts for Kids, and the wife of my former boss Fred from back in the day when we both worked for the same health insurance company. Small world!

Now my back is out after all that lifting, and my right shoulder is just dead sore. I'm living on Advil and trying to take it easy. My annual mammogram was this week, too, and now I need to make an appointment for my annual physical. My guess is that I won't be scheduled in until October, but at that time I hope to see what can be done about my hands and arms and shoulder (carpal tunnel surgery? more arthritis meds? body transplant?)

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *
I did manage to get some sewing done on the rest of my purple Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks so that I could share them this morning with Angela's Scrappy Saturday linky party.

Six strip blocks; three at 9" and three at 6".


Two beachcomber crumb blocks (will finish at 11" each) and a row of purple bitcoins.


This coming week I plan to work on an International Sisters quilt/wall hanging for Harambe Humanitarian. It's my OMG (One Monthly Goal) for September. I've also been cutting out some orange and gray scraps to make an autumn wall hanging. More about that next week.

Finally, just to show you that some things never change....


Alfie appears to be resting up for the Big Party, but really he's just depressed. He heard that Smitty and Sadie would be passing through town. And since Alfie and Darla got some fresh new catnip this week, the cats had been planning a party together along with Molly and Buddy flying out from Oregon to join the festivities. However, it appears that Molly and Buddy have been put on the TSA no-fly list due to an unfortunate incident the last time they flew. No, the incident didn't go viral or even get widely reported, but there are TSA agents who may be scarred for life. The party is in dire jeopardy.

17 comments:

  1. What a haul, Cathy! No wonder you are tired and sore. Hope you're feeling better soon! What size do you make the Quilts for Kids? I'm wondering if I could make a quilt for them now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like the party might need to get relocated for the cats..... or will the poor TSA agents still have a time of it with the other 4? At least he is being helpful while resting as a ipad holder! Great haul you got. Sorry about the body aches. If you figure out how to get a body transplant let me know.... I may need that tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear that you overexerted yourself on the FREE fabric haul. It was SEW good of you to "take one for the team"!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I.N.V.U. I am jealous just thinking of all that fabric petting you were able to do. Hmmm. Lucky you. I know you are sore and in pain but still you are lucky to have be at the right place at the right time. There's a lot of beautiful fabric in there and I am a suck for flannel. Hope the body feels better real soon. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I'd been there to help you! You did a great deed so rest a bit and then get back on the horse! Lots of kids will appreciate your efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a wonderful haul to be used for your charity. Do hope your aches and pains ease soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. it was very generous for those fabrics to be gifted for a great cause. Sorry you had to do all that lifting though. My Carpal Tunnel surgery was rescheduled for this Thursday. The doc requires me to stop taking Advil 10 days prior to surgery. With the procedure being rescheduled, I have been off Advil for a LOOOOONG time. I'm here to tell you that you don't realize how many parts of your body require that drug! Tylenol is OK and a waste of money in my book. Hope Bruce is doing well.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  8. You get extra points for getting such a great haul for QFK, but it's unfortunate that your 'reward' turned out to be pain and suffering. Not fair. At this age I'm never sure if my aches and pains are just age-related or a sign of something serious. At this point since they come and go,I'm chalking them up to the age thing. It's probably a good thing that the cat party has been derailed, but shocking that Buddy and Molly have been put on the TSA watchlist.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahem...it was staff that was scarred for life...both literally and figuratively. And to be fair, Molly and Buddy were model passengers. And I don't think Buddy and Molly were put on the no-fly list for their actions...I think it was the letter Molly wrote afterwards recommending changes to policies and procedures, staffing assessments and the need for feline supervisors.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Cathy! Such a great haul for QFK and what a relief for the family giving it away, I'm sure. Just think of all the goodness in all the work you put into all that sorting. It's so wonderful to read that Bruce is doing well and his constant companion, Alfie, is holding up well too. Happy Monday! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Where to begin!?! hahahaha
    I do hope the whole body transplant isn't necessary, I have started taking Turmeric supplements and be so surprised at how well they help with the arthritis in my hands. It might be worth a try for a little relief.
    As for the kitties and the TSA incident, the TSA probably deserved it. LOL and that's all I'll say about that! Thanks for the hysterical story! Have a great day and take it easy my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. QFK was extremely lucky to get such a huge donation. Your RSC blocks look great and I love that Alfie is so useful as to hold up your hubby's tablet. I hope your body recovers and quickly at that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow - what a haul! So sorry it's all lead to you hurting though - that's not fun. And I'm loving the purples (not that it's one of my favourite colours or anything of the sort!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on the haul, Cathy!!! What a steal that was, even if it meant loads of sorting. I am so sorry about your back. You may need a massage. I highly recommend it. Also the turmeric-milk is a time-tested remedy from India. Love your purple string blocks. They are so royally festive. The catty story sounds so fishy but I am sure you have more tales up your sleeve :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, that's quite a haul! So glad that all that goodness will end up in quilts to make kids happy. Hope you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!