Friday, November 3, 2017

Rainbow Scrap Saturday

Last week I didn’t recap my pink scrap progress for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge Saturday link-up because I wanted to work right up to the month end.  In the final few days I sewed together my small scraps and crumbs and made 5 blocks of 8.5” (unfinished) which will be saved for use in a future project.  So, now I am ready for my October pink scrappy recap.


The top row upper left is a quilt top I made of 6” vintage sheet squares. It will be finished for donation at a later date.  Then, the RSC pink blocks I made were: 24 Friendship Star variation blocks, 2 selvage columns, 3 bookcase blocks, 21 Plus blocks, 11 string blocks (on was from last year), 5 crumb blocks, 25 bowtie blocks (4.5”) and 3 Geese Migration blocks. My notes also say one miscellaneous block, but I can’t figure out what that is. But no matter, because I’m not counting the vintage sheet quilt top anyway. Total was 95 blocks. Remember, it was a long month!

I also finished two quilts:

READING RAINBOW

Pink Baby Donation Quilt


Then I made 2 doggie pillows for Best Friends Animal Society plus 14 kennel quilts for cats and small dogs. They will all be donated next week. Well, I am holding one back for Darla as she insists that she needs an “office” from which to supervise my work.


October was also good for me in my weight loss efforts. I lost 5.8 pounds, bringing my total to 26 pounds lost since mid-June. It’s slow, but then the weight didn’t appear overnight either. And this is a comfortable lifestyle change, so I am happy with my progress. I overdid it in the exercise department, though. Sheesh, you lose 20-something pounds and think you’ve lost the years along with it! Riding scooters and bikes, mountain hiking and pulling wagons full of kids and pumpkins are things I ought to work up to gradually. My back is taking longer to recover than I’d like, but it’s nothing some ibuprofen and a heating pad won’t fix.

And that brings me to November and our dark scraps. All I’ve managed to do with them so far is get them out and begin sorting. I will be making the final column for my Rainbow Selvages quilt, and maybe some string blocks. And then I’m going to have to find some use for these - maybe just piece something that could be used as a backing for a future donation quilt. We’ll see.


My brother and I scattered my mom’s ashes up in the Wasatch mountains near where we used to picnic when my kids were little. She loved it there. It was a cool but clear day, just beautiful. October 31 - the 11th anniversary of her death. It was also the day of one of my dear friend’s memorial service (in Nebraska). We had just vacationed with her and her husband in September in Colorado, so Colleen was on my mind and in my heart that day too.


Finally, for those of you who visit mostly on Saturdays for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, I have a link for you HERE to a post I wrote earlier in the week about my process for collecting ideas and sorting through them and my scraps. I hope we all share a curiosity about where others get their ideas and how they select their projects. To say nothing of scrap storage. Anyway, I’d love to have you take a hop over to that post to read not only the post but the comments. And please leave your comments, too!

Have a great, scrappy week!  Is anyone else planning to participate in Bonnie Hunter’s Mystery Quilt this year? Are you going to stick with her color scheme or make changes?

Cathy maroon

16 comments:

  1. Such a lovely group of pink blocks and projects, Cathy! I am always so amazed at how much you accomplish! I'm so glad you and your brother were able to spread your mom's ashes in the perfect spot and on the perfect day, too. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am eagerly awaiting the instructions for Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilt this year as I have participated the last 2 years and had lots of fun. Although I changed some of the colors on the previous years' quilts, I will use the colors she has chosen for this year as I really love the combination. One thing I like especially about the mystery quilt is that I accomplish a lot more than usual in less time if I keep up with the clues. Are you making the mystery quilt also?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just a whole slew of lovely quilts there in pink that you've done...

    I am not doing BH's Mystery (too stressful for me with all those small pieces {and angles}! But I will be watching everybody's "take" on it...that's fun in itself)

    I plan to really push myself (firstly to FIND my sewing mojo which went, it seems, walkabout and hasn't as yet come home!!) to finish all my "false" starts in my "drawer of shame". I have layers of starts that haven't made it past a little of this and a little of that...
    hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  4. How great to see all those pink projects together! I do love pink. :D

    I was going to do the mystery right up until two days ago. But now I think I need to finish more projects before I start another new one. I think it will be a beauty, though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That total must give you a great feeling of accomplishment, especially the finishes. Now I'm going to be doing finishes, no darks except my tree trunks. My rainbow is complete.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lot of pleasing pink piecing last month!! Best of luck with that beautiful BROWN batch of scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many beautiful pink blocks--you got a lot done in October! And you already know how much I love your Reading Rainbow! Can't wait to see what you make from your dark scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ooooh - I like the colours for this month! It's going to be such fun to see what you create with your stack of possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW so much pink! I love the little stars and the plus blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You always seem to get in an amazing amount of fabric therapy every week! I love seeing all your "shares" every Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like seeing them all together in a sort of photo quilt. The plusses stood out.
    Going to read your scrap ideas post. I haven't been reading ANY blogs since this move took on a life of it's own. It looms like the disaster it's turned out to be. LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've got lots of pretty in pink blocks! You get so much done each month. I'm going to pop over at take a look at your idea post. I'm trying to figure out what's on tap in my sewing room for RSC 2018.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a lot of pink! Congrats on getting so much done.

    No BH mystery for me. I did 3 of them in past years and ended up with some beautiful quilts I gifted. I also had fun sewing along with others and wondering what the final quilt would look like. But it's not for me anymore. Have fun!! I love the color scheme.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your smorgasbord of pink, very nice variety. Your Reading Rainbow is awesome. I’m going to follow your link, but not sure about the Bonnie mystery. I did several, but missed the last couple.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love seeing all those pink blocks together! You really have some great quilts in the works :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just found your blog...and my brother's ashes are up in the Wasatch mountains too!!! Love your quilts!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!