Saturday, September 19, 2015

Quilty Orphan Adoption Event !! And Other Stuff.

Cynthia Brunz at Quilting is More Fun Than Housework iis hosting her semi-annual Quilty Orphan Adoption Event and I have decided to join in.

Basically, if you have a UFO (unfinished object or project) that you know you will never finish, then you can offer it up for adoption and link up to her blog.  And the offer is FREE.  There are several other UFOs up for adoption linked up to Cynthia’s site, so go check them out.  


To me, this is a fantastic solution to those “What was I thinking?” projects, or projects that just turned to the dark side once they began.....  Given that I have just started seriously quilting within the last year, I would still categorize myself as an (over-) confident beginner. 

So, what is this project?  It will hopefully someday be a mini-quilt sized approximately 24” by 27”.  I used a charm pack of Bonnie and Camille’s Marmalade and some Kona White.  The pattern (included with UFO) is called Pretty in Pink (Mini) by Heather Mulder Peterson of Anka’s Treasures. 



It was a quilt-along that Heather hosted earlier this year, and once I had cut everything out per the directions, I kicked myself for not reading through them first. It seems to me that it would be much easier (and more accurate) to cut each charm vertically into 2 pieces, insert the white, then cut it vertically into 2 pieces and insert the white. Instead, we cut each charm into 4 pieces, then inserted one white vertical piece and two white horizontal pieces, hoping they match up.  Maybe I`m wrong, but I am not going to dwell on it. This gives me a headache. And all those dang pinked edges...... grrrr.  

So, if you think you might want to adopt this project for your very own, here is what I am asking. Many of the adoptee projects are intended for charity, but since this is just a wall hanging or mini size, I will not ask that. However, I would like to see a picture when you finish it.  Please comment below if you are interested; I will keep the adoption open through Tuesday, September 22.  Please make sure I can contact you; in other words, if you are a no-reply blogger, leave your email address in your comment.   I will include the fabrics for the front (I had not picked out any backing or binding), directions, and will carefully mark all the cut pieces for you.  Plus, if you would like, I will throw in a mini charm pack of Feed Company by Moda. 

* * * * * * * * * *
This is one of my Farm Girl Vintage blocks for this week’s Farm Girl quiltalong. It is called Sunny Sunflower. I have another block to do, and will show that next post.


I tried making an autumn table runner for our kitchen table.  I used Home for Harvest, a quilt line by (again) Heather Mulder Peterson (LOOOOOVE those colors), and you can see them also in the above block (the brown and green).  In the runner, I paired them up with some Kaufman yard-dyed Essex Linen in Natural because I have heard so many nice things about it. It was not my favorite to work with, but that’s probably just me. Besides, look at my rank beginner quilting on it.  HA!  The harder free-motion quilting is much easier than trying to sew a few basic straight lines. Go figure. 


And finally, my niece (or cousin’s daughter) Jenny, whose first quilt I showed you earlier this month, finished her second one a couple weeks later. She used solids, half-square triangles, and came up with her own layout. I think it is stunning!  Great job, Jenny!


I’m a bit sad because we will not be having our regular Sunday sewing group tomorrow due to illnesses. And I had a killer lunch planned: ham and broccoli quiche, cinnamon raisin bread, mimosas and fresh peach pie. Plus, I wanted to pawn some garden tomatoes off on them, too.  But there is always next week!  

Cathy maroon

10 comments:

  1. Cathy, those are great quilts to put up for adoption! Thanks for linking up and joining the fun. I know someone will come along and adopt them. They will make a great quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh it is going to be an adorable mini quilt. I would love to finish it up for you. And I will use it for a neonatal quilt donation by adding a border or 2 it will be the perfect size for them. I love B & C fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cathy!
    Your niece's quilt is wonderful! i love all those colors!
    Ugh - I hate working with pinked edges too. And I like the sound of your construction technique - it would be a time and frustration saver.
    I'm participating in Cyndy's adoption event too and am just stopping by to cheer you on for having such great giveaways.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quilty orphan adoption sounds like a fantastic idea! I love, love, love your fabric choices in your table runner. And Jenny's quilt is darling! Your menu does sound delicious. I hope everyone is feeling better next week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I lived near you, I would definitely take some tomatoes off your hands, but I can offer to give your Bonnie and Camille project a good home! I've never made anything out of that line and I would love to!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love the orphan project! In fact I have fabrics that would match that I can add to it to make a larger project that I would like to donate to Quilts for Kids. Ive been quilting for 20+ years so those pinked edges are not scary!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You do not mention if you would mail to Canada. If you would then I am interested. With a little extra bordering this could be a baby quilt. thank you for offering this "orphan". It is so often fun to play with some new scraps. Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd love to finish your mini quilt. The fabrics are very pretty and a feed sack pack would be wonderful as I've been wanting to get some but haven't yet. I think I am a reply commenter but just in case google changes it's mind, I'll leave my email with you anyway. Thanks. Karen
    kthurn@bektel.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. A quilt adoption is a great idea! When I belonged to the local quilt guild one year they had a group challenge to make a celtic patterned quilt and provided all the patterns. I loved the idea and rushed out and bought fabric that I ended up absolutely hating. Needless to say the project stalled out on about the third block and sat in my stash for years until we were moving here and I put it out in the yard sale. Someone trotted off quite happily with it and I often wonder if she ever did finish it or if it's still sitting in HER stash.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great event! I would love to finish your mini quilt. It would be a great NICU quilt or by adding a little more to it to make it a baby quilt and give it to a local women's shelter.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!