Thursday, August 12, 2010

Woo-Hoo! I’m in an Etsy Treasury

I got notice yesterday that one of my hand-dyed laces made a Treasury (treasuries are seller-curated collections) on Etsy.  The treasury is Golden Leaves and can be viewed here.


The featured item is dyed with potassium permanganate, a chemical that results in a lustrous golden sheen when used on rayons.  That’s why I call them Golden Laces and why these golden leaves were noticed.   I’m so excited!  This is my first treasury feature!

The results you get with potassium permanganate on cotton are not much different than dyeing with browns or tea/coffee.  Aged, but very ordinary.  Potassium permangante is relatively expensive and at times difficult to obtain.  As with all dyeing, there are precautions to take..... but WOW, pictures can’t capture the beauty of the lace!

One of these days, I’ll get a direct link to my store up on the sidebar.  But for now, if you’re looking for a great golden accent for your crazy quilting, fabric collage or other project, check out the laces in my shop on Etsy.....  http://cathyscrazybydesign.etsy.com

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I’ve been hesitating to publish pictures of any of my Farmgirl Aprons, because they just don’t look good hanging on a hanger on my design board!  I realize I have to either get someone to pose while wearing one, or else put my Victorian dress form to use.  But she’s got an 18” waist and makes everything look funny.  I guess I could wrap her waist..... must experiment.....   And my grape arbor would make a great background.....  hmmmm....

But I digress.  Here are a couple of the smaller adult ones I’ve recently made.


I’ve been experimenting alot with trims (to trim or not to trim?), straps (the bib straps or other?), fabrics (double cotton or heavier home dec cottons or ?), ruffles or not, pockets or not (I believe they should all have pockets, but sometimes they don’t), etc.  But that’s part of the fun; no two alike.


Those vintage white yo-yo’s on the above apron either need some green leaves to dress them up, or they’ve gotta go.   They look better in person, but they look funny in this picture.....

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Meantime, I’m working on another Art Nouveau crazy quilting block for Leslie.  It’s in neutrals, and I should have a progress shot in the next couple days.

I’ve had so much on my plate again (why do I do that?) that I just “dropped out” of my life for a week.  I couldn’t focus and didn’t feel like interacting or even...... and this is a big one..... even eating!   And not eating while on a weight loss regimen (or lifestyle change, I should say) is NOT good.  Body goes into “starvation mode” and hoards everything.  Thus, no weight loss.  So, I’m eating as I should this week and hope to move off this d$#%  plateau I’ve been on.  

So I’m off to stitch methinks.  Ah, but lunch first......   :-)

Hugs,
Cathy maroon

5 comments:

  1. COngrats on the Treasure feature! That lace looks truly amazing. And the aprons are so cute, I especially love the second one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Cathy, well deserved! I love the aprons, what a cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cathy...I just love,love that lace,it is beautiful. Those aprons are really nice and I like the blus one.
    I am looking forward to the Art Nouveau crazy quilting blocks you are working on,as you know I like the Art Nouveau period.
    Laurette.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cathy,
    That lace is divine....I LOVE it..
    I can relate what you were going through....(dropping out of life)
    Been there done that... What is with that??... It just comes along .
    Re the not eating... Yes, hard to believe but true... I taught classes with Weight Watchers for 14years and I saw that time and time again.One of my favorite lines I used was "You can't drive the car without gas~!!"
    Hope you are feeling better now.
    xoxo
    ((((hugs))))
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  5. The lace looks great! So do the aprons. Why not try using leaf shapes green buttons from the craft store. Adds a different texture. Michael's carries em or you could go on line, but I just get em at michael's ;D

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!