Saturday, May 20, 2017

Scraps: Green Light!

More cool cold spring weather this week. It even snowed! Luckily, it didn’t last long and I had protected the flowers I had already planted. The long range forecast shows a slow but gradual warming trend. Maybe we will have summer this year. At least I’ve been able to play with my green scraps to satisfy the green itch!

First up, my green Friendship Star variation blocks. I absolutely adore these! I made 25 green blocks this month, which puts my total number of these blocks at 67 so far. I will need a total of 172. This project is likely to carry over into next year.




And then here are the happy little 4.5” bow tie blocks. I made 30 of those. Only half a bazillion to go on these. This is definitely a multi-year project.


Right now I’m working on my scraps and my kitty quilts (small kennel quilts) for the Best Friends animal shelter; I’ll have those to show next week. And speaking of kitties, aren’t these flowers the cutest thing you’ve ever seen? My daughter Megan sent them to me for Mother’s Day. She is a cat lover like me and is owned by two female cats, Lola and Iggy. 


I also finished a crocheted rug that I started on Christmas Day. I totally had forgotten about it  until Bruce and I switched our favorite chairs back to their usual positions. We had traded places because his right arm was out of commission during all those surgeries, so we wanted him to be able to access a side table with his left arm. If that makes sense. Anyway, once we moved everything back, I found this nearly-done rug and finished up the last 3 rows. It’s made from wonky strips of leftover cotton single crocheted with a huge hook.


If it looks wonky, that’s only because.... it is. I haven’t yet blocked it, washed it or tucked in any of the ends. What you see as the length of it was actually going to be the width, but enough is enough. It eats up fabric at the rate of about a half yard - maybe slightly less -  per row. And that was it for my cheap and/or scrap strips. But it was fun and it’s done.


Linking up to Scrappy Saturday.


Cathy maroon

19 comments:

  1. Love that friendship star variation!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been able to plant anything yet - too cold and too much snow! Luckily we didn't lose any branches from the heavy wet stuff! Maybe by tomorrow I'll be able to finally get some planting done! I love those friendship star blocks - when I saw your thumbnail pic, it made me think of a trellis! Yes, summer will come - I know it will! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard about the late snow up there - yikes!
    I am inspired by both of your RSC projects. They look so pretty in all that green!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice pieces--I love those bow ties...they really have the look of Springtime..
    hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  5. Only half a bazillion to go? Aw, you outta be able to whip those out in a month...hee hee. I like your rug - so reminiscent of the ones our grandmas used to make. Curious to know how bit it is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous GREEN blocks for the RSC!! Have faith... Summer's coming. :o))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your green blocks. I might someday have to make a friendship star quilt. My mom made one years a go and I love hers too. Cute flower kitty. Sorry your spring is cold. We just had the nicest day yet, in Alberta.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The friendship stars look like one is blending into another at the secondary corners, a lovely effect. And at first I thought the bow ties were snowballs! Maybe because we went back to cold rainy weather again. My daughter is visiting in The Dalles, OR, and they have filled the pool for this weekend. Hope they have nice swimming,weather. Wishing the same for you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your friendship star blocks. Star blocks are my favorite blocks. The bow tie blocks are beautiful. Awesome job making green blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your green blocks are amazing!! Your rug is so cute too!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like the lime green bowties with the black and white fabric. And I still like your friendship stars despite my failed attempt to make one. And even Molly likes the cat bouquet and wonders why I never send her flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the luminous look of your Friendship Star blocks & Bow Ties! The cat bouquet is wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love love love your friendship stars! And your kitty flowers made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just love those Friendship Stars. And I didn't realize all your bow ties are with black and whites. Nice!

    I've braided some rugs from fabric scraps but never crocheted them. Looks like fun. I have crocheted rugs from rug yarn when that was all the rage...in the 70s? Along with rug hooking?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the two sets of blocks you are making for the RSC..really effective and beautiful. And the crocheted scrap rug is gorgeous too.... my Nana used to make these... I always wondered how much fabric they used up!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your green blocks...all of them, they are so refreshing.

    We had out summer, I think. There was two and a half days of actual hot weather. It was quickly blown away today by winds up to 39 MPH gusts, 25 MPH sustained. Can I just say...I do not like wind?

    How is Bruce these days? Is he all healed up and back at it?

    I like your little rug. I have been cutting up old and/or stained t-shirts to crochet something. It will probably turn out to be dog beds or something like that, so I don't have to think while I'm doing it. Or maybe a rug for the floor by the kitchen sink. I just want to recycle the old shirts!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You made a great collection of friendship star and bow ties green blocks. And they are beautiful together. Cute crochet rug.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really like your friendship stars! Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! You have been busy. Love your Friendship Star Variation.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!