Saturday, February 18, 2017

Beam Me Up

Sewing is my sanity. What a week! Is anyone else ready for a vacation from winter? Until a vacation can happen, I am so grateful (should be spelled GREATful) for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge and my sewing machine!  Come take a mini-vacation and join us over at Angela’s So Scrappy blog for the weekly roundup of colorful goodness!

This week I sewed 13 teal Friendship Star variation blocks. I absolutely love how these play together!


And to finish off my teal scraps, I made two nine-patch blocks, one 6,5” novelty block with the telephone center, and three miscellaneous crumb slabs, which will count as one slab block in my final tally. I think that they are more versatile when kept to sizes that can either be sewn together or cut down later.  Gotta love scraps! Linking up to Oh Scrap!


I was also able to finally finish my brother-in-law’s quilt, the boring disappearing 9-patch. I’ve got a couple close-ups here, mainly to show my (honest but) mediocre and wobbly quilting. I am hoping that once the quilt is washed, it will be less noticeable.


The quilting is stippling in the body, loops in the two vertical bands, and a vine and leaf pattern along the border. I should’ve probably picked another situation (instead of white thread on a black border) to practice this new-to-me motif. But oh well. I`m nuts like that.....


Here it is with its black and white binding, in a heap (that’s how I feel about it), ready to go into the laundry for its washing and crinkle-production. I will get a final picture and do a separate reveal post about it later in the week, because it’s another Finish-Along goal for the first quarter.


And finally, I bought a large separating zipper and was able to finish the sleeping bag for my DGD Abbie’s American Girl doll. While I was at it, I sewed up a flannel nightgown for the doll, too. Just in time. The kids have Monday (Presidents Day) off school and are coming over to play with me and Grandpa.


And speaking of Grandpa (DH), the news on his forearm is not good. The MRI showed enough to warrant biopsies, done last Tuesday or Wednesday (it’s all a blur). Yesterday the doc called to tell us she`d assembled a team review (oncologist, radiologist, her as surgeon, etc.) for Tuesday morning. We meet with her on Tuesday at 1:00 to go over the results and surgery/treatment plan. We’ve been here before and done that. But one wonders just how much tissue is left to take before it begins impairing the use of his (right, dominant) arm and hand. Needless to say, he’s had to bow out of his folk music trio’s gig for this week.... We are being stoic for now, but reserving the right to panic later if warranted (insert inappropriate LOL here....)

Wishing you a good week, with lots of sunshine for everyone!

Cathy maroon

18 comments:

  1. well, all your teals are gorgeous, so how could it not make a lovely piece. Will you be doing a rainbow friendship star?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you could find some sanity in your sewing this week. Sounds like you need it. Thinking of you and Bruce LOTS! Those friendship stars are just gorgeous! What a neat secondary design they make! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've done it again. Your friendship blocks are so awesome I'm going to have to run with it. I'm sorry to hear that you had bad news, but I hope everything takes an upturn. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all and most important, my best wishes to your husband and you. I am praying that the results all come to the best conclusion for him. I wish you both strength.
    Your stars are amazing!
    All of your teal scrap blocks look great. I have been overwhelmed this month. I took on more things to sew and crochet and I have squirrel syndrome. I did get a few sea green blue green not blue green things done, and then didn't get pictures yet! I will try to do that today, but there are a hundred or so things on my plate to do! I guess it's a good thing I'm retired!!!
    I really like how your BIL's quilt came out. Not boring at all. Your quilting is not wobbly, it's organic and that's a good thing in quilts!
    The little doll items you made are so cute! I have no grandkids to sew for, but I do some stuff for my grand niece and nephews from time to time. I don't get to see them use them because they are 900 miles away from me. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that Friendship Star variation.
    I see nothing wrong with your quilting. Gotta start somewhere and practice on someone's quilt. Might as well be a man's quilt because he surely won't notice. (Sexist remark, I know). The colors are wonderful.

    Sorry to hear about your DH. Just take it one day at a time. (Easier said than done, I know).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I really like your D9P quilt! The flashes of teal in the black and white work really well, I think it'll look great once it's been washed and put on a bed or sofa. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bruce will be fine, but I'll say prayers just in case. I like the D9P quilt. I especially like the binding which looks like a zipper. Cool! Have fun with the girls on Monday. Take Good Care.
    xx, CArol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your friendship stars do play together beautifully, what a great collection of fabrics! Lucky DGD will enjoy the new treasures for her doll, I loved making projects like that when my teen daughter was younger. Wishing good test results and speedy healing for your DH.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Friendship Star variation is so interesting. It never stops moving. Love the doll outfit, nice to do girly things now and then. As for the b/w quilt, wiggly quilting is supposed to be wiggly, so don't be so hard on yourself. He will never know its not your best ever. Prayers will keep coming.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the friendship stars. You guys are in my prayers. My hubby has had 4 bouts of cancer and it isn't an easy time to go thru. Be strong. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loving the Friendship Stars - they make me think of the Caribbean!
    Sending good vibes for you and your DH; I've been known to mix up a batch of Voodoo Vinaigrette when needed, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed looking at all of your teal blocks. Your granddaughter will love her sleepy time things for her doll.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your OCEAN INSPIRED blocks are so pretty! I really don't see what you have against your newly completed quilt. I think it's AWESOME... "mediocre" quilting and all!! :P

    Best of luck with the doctor visit for DH! Thinking of you both.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the teal blocks. Beautiful quilt!! I love the colors.
    I'm hoping for the best, dear.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those teal blocks are so calm and soothing. And I will also add so very lovely! Wishing the very best for you and your husband. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, I hope you have good news this week. Best wishes to your husband (and you!). Meanwhile, your blocks are lovely. It took me a while to find the telephone. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your teal friendship stars. That bright white really makes it pop!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So sorry that your dear husband is having to go through all this yet again - definitely being prayed for. And I have to say that I love your 'boring' quilt for your BIL - the colours are spectacular.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!