Wednesday, February 18, 2009

6th Picture Meme, Pots & Festival

First of all, I'd like to thank my friend Heather for tagging me to play the 6th Picture Meme. Actually, I was also tagged by Shari, so I'm killing two birds with one stone, so to speak. I've received a couple other awards from friends recently, and I must thank you - you know who you are - for thinking of me so kindly. I just don't feel I have the "with-it-ness" to keep track of these things and keep them going. But I would like to share my 6th picture in my 6th folder, not because it's a great picture or anything (it's NOT), but because it's been such a long, cold, snowy winter....... and this picture is so GREEEEEN...... glorious green, as in plant chlorophyll garden growth green!!

The picture is part (3/5) of our grape arbor in the year we first started it (2005). On the other side of it is our covered patio, and this arbor provides shade from the afternoon sun in the west. Not to mention all the grapes it provides for eating and juicing. I had stuck a few "troubled" planting pots there to get more water. Since then, DH has installed a nifty drip irrigation system in our front yard, and we line up all our colorful Mexican Talavera pots on the front steps. Which leads me - clever segue here - into my next subject of Talavera pots and other goodies we shopped for in Arizona on our recent vacation. Check out the colorful wares of these stores in Tubac.

In the picture below, I circled the pot we bought for our front steps.
We also got two others (not pictured but similar to the one on the right in the picture below) for my DD and DSIL who just bought a house. Here are our front steps with the Talavera pots and flowers in 2007. Getting back to Arizona, blog-wise, we really enjoyed the Arts Festival and shops this year. Let me share some more pictures....

This shop (above) is the Lee Blackwell Studio. The stuff in front is more of the mass-market Mexican imports, but Lee's studio is in back. Some of his sculpted metal art is in the front courtyard, and the rest is in the studio or back courtyard. Lee's dad, Lyman Blackwell (who used to have HIS electronic studio in the Tubac Trailer Tether that my BIL owns) was the inventor of the first battery-powered smoke detector in the USA, and was featured once on Paul Harvey's "The Rest of the Story". While we were visiting, Lyman was closing down his electronics shop and had my DH Bruce go through some of his electronic stuff for whatever he (DH) wanted.

Above: a busy street as the Arts Festival gets underway in this small (pop. 1100) town.....
Below: a view of the Tubac Trailer Tether (background L) , the Tubac Country Inn (background R), and (foreground) vendor/artist tents in the Arts Festival.

.

Above: Artist booth in front of an older building in Tubac
Below: More booths, crowds and some saguaro cacti - but they're not real!

Next post: A CQ piece I've been working on, and some great artsy shops in Tubac. Thanks for stopping by!
Cathy

3 comments:

  1. O.M.G.... I love these kinds of pots... unfortunately... not something we get here, but they are beautiful.... makes me want to do some mosaics... VBG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Cathy, Thanks for taking on a photo tour of the Art Festival. The lovely pots are sooo colorful. It looks like a very unique place to visit. Hugs Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love Talavera and would have gone crazy shopping there! I have two of these pots and a kitchen full of talavera plates and pottery that I have been collecting for years. Just love all your pictures!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!