Saturday, August 12, 2017

Working those Neutrals

It’s been another busy week here, but at least I was able to spend lots of time down in my studio, sewing my cares away. There was quite a variety of things to work on this week. My ADQD (Attention Deficit Quilting Disorder) was in overdrive, so I switched between sewing neutral string blocks, quilting the pineapple quilt, and sewing tulips and leaves. And mending clothes, sewing on buttons, etc. Life in the fast lane. Not.


But there is a method to my madness. The needle in my machine needed changing, so I figured that sewing on a paper base in order to do the 4.5” neutral string blocks would be better on the old needle. Therefore, for three days I cut, sewed and trimmed blocks. The result was 78 (of 168 needed) neutral string blocks.


There are plenty more strings and scraps and fabrics where these came from, and I will be working on them throughout the month.  Come visit us over at Angela’s blog for Scrappy Saturday. Lots of us are working through our neutral scraps this month!

Anyway, by Wednesday I put a new needle in the machine and switched to quilting the pineapple quilt, which I had basted on Monday. The first thing I did on the pineapple quilt was to stitch all the vertical seams in the ditch with my walking foot.


And then I began doing X quilting in the pineapples themselves. So much moving and shifting the quilt around (!) and my Bernina has an average-at-best harp space. My shoulders hurt after quilting five pineapples. So, I set myself a goal of quilting 5 pineapples a day. With 24 pineapples in the quilt, that will take 5 days. To date, I have completed 15; 9 left to go. I’m using a light, icy yellow on the front instead of white - not that you can really tell from this picture. The thread on the back is a variegated light green. When I finish the quilt next week, I’ll have pictures.

After quilting my quota of 5 pineapples a day, I figured it was a good time to start assembling tulips and leaves for the quilt that my friend Terri and I are making for our friend Diane.

I originally added the gold color in because there is gold in the small pink floral print that you see in almost every tulip. But I think the gold strips overpower the pastels and need to be taken out and substituted with another pastel (probably that aqua with pink strawberries). What do you think?


All the tulips will have a stem and leaves; that is the next step. And this is only half the tulips anyway; Terri is making the other half of them.


So now I am a stem-and-leaf-making fool, and hope to get those done this week in addition to finishing the pineapple quilt and making the rest of the neutral strip blocks.  The next project on the horizon is Bruce’s guitar quilt....

Finally, if you have a moment, why not stop by Lily Pad Quilting and the Pets on Quilts Show for 2017. Darla, my sweet quilting tabby, is entered in the Cats on Quilts category. You can visit the linky party HERE. Voting will open next week, and we hope you will consider voting for Darla, the Quilting Cat!

And now, it’s back to the sewing room for me...... unless Darla is using the machine! (wink)

Cathy maroon

15 comments:

  1. I love all your projects--especially those cute as a button pineapples...be careful not to injure yourself...I know how easily that can happen pulling a big piece through a machine...
    I have switched over to hand quilting mostly--except for quilts for my young grandgirls--those two "I Spies" will be machine quilted in the Autumn...to be ready for Christmas...
    hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in love with your neutral string blocks, Cathy! Which means I need to go and make some more of my own! Are you making a complete quilt out of them or adding other colors into the mix? Sounds like a good idea to pace yourself on the pineapple quilting - but I am definitely looking forward to seeing it. I will definitely go check out Darla! I love the things cats do when their people are trying to quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have such optimism to undertake so many string blocks and only 4.5 inches! I love the tulip pattern and my choice would be to leave the gold and even add a few more. We lived in the tulip capital of the Northwest for,years and there are,many tulips with two or more colors per bloom, especially yellow and red or yellow and white. How big are,the blocks and what size are the strips. I love the idea of making one. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your neutrals are gorgeous, they shimmer. I need to have more than one thing on the go as well, this week worked on two dead-line quilts and played with my neutrals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The neutral string blocks are gorgeous -- I think I need to consider that for my overflowing neutrals stash!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!! Nice work on those NEUTRAL strings! I'm in Paula's camp. I agree that you should just leave the gold in the tulips. It adds a nice little spark. I would add 1 or 3 more strips and spread the resulting tulips around the quilt. Best of luck on finishing the Pineapple quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The neutral strings look yummy! I like your plan for 5 pineapples/day - no point in getting stiff and sore over machine quilting. The tulips are going to be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great neutral strings. Love seeing those pineapple blocks. I agree - the yellow is a little too bright for the flowers but they sure are pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the neutral string blocks. I've never made them as small as 4.5" but they look great. I'm amazed how many people have bags of neutral scraps, I struggle to add them to my stash. Pineapple quilt is looking good too. Love the tulip blocks, such pretty colours. I think the gold adds a bright pop of colour and a few more dotted around the quilt will add another dimension to it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never seem to have any leftover neutrals - I make a point of shopping for them since I'm usually running short!
    I like the gold in your tulips, but maybe it might be about a shade too dark? Adding more of it should solve the problem, though. (Or orange! Everything's better with orange!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your neutral strings are awesome. You really have been a busy little bee. I need to stop thinking how fun a string quilt would be to do. My ADQD is out of control as well. I was busy ironing yellow fabric for pineapples in the hopes of at least getting some cut out. Your tulips are so sweet. I see the dilemma that you have. I know that I would change them, but I would try to talk myself out of it a few dozen times Or maybe just add a bit more into some of the other flowers. I'm no help, am I? What does Darla think??

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm also loving your neutral string blocks. If your friend is also making tulips you might see how yours look mixed in with hers before you decide what to do (if anything) about the gold. It does read pretty strong in the pictures but I know they may read differently in person. I envy your output!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your string blocks! I don't mind the yellow on the tulips, but if it bothers you, then you should take it out. Looking forward to seeing the pineapples quilted. Sounds like you are getting there in a hurry.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Buddy loves your string quilt and thinks those colors would make a spectacular cat.

    ReplyDelete
  15. As usual I need a short rest after even contemplating all you accomplish. I'm not normally a huge fan of neutrals, but I do love those string blocks. And as for the gold in the tulips, my vote is to get rid of it. It seems to leap off my computer screen and I think something a little 'less' might be better overall. Just my two cents worth!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!