Saturday, October 3, 2015

Scrappy Saturday.... Singin’ the Browns

Despite the cooler, wetter fall weather and the storm forecast for the east coast, I am not singing the blues. Nope, it is October and the color of the month for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge is brown, so that is what I be singin'.  If I could sing, that is.

I`ve seen some pretty fantastic rainbows in my life (the most notable I posted on my Instagram account ( @cathy_k_in_ut ) a couple weeks ago. But I have never seen brown in any rainbow. However, I do have plenty of brown fabric scraps, and mom Angela encouraged us to give it a go. So I did, and I am glad I did.


There is good contrast in the block, and it will fit in nicely with the other colors in my quilt. Thanks for the encouragement, Angela!

And I never did post this picture last month. September was our orange month, and I did three bright orange blocks like the one on the bottom left below.  We had already done yellow back in March, and one of those blocks is on the top in the below pic. However, one of my very favorite colors is yellow-orange, and I had lots of those scraps. So, I decided to do a block out of those. I think it is a good transition block from the yellows to the oranges. Not that the quilt will need transitioning blocks ... the layout will be random. But still.


I only have two more blocks to do, and I know what color they are going to be (bright/light greens) regardless of the color chosen for next month. And that is because I still have two larger blocks to piece for our Euro shams, so I can use future color(s) on them while still finishing up this quilt top. A method to my madness. Or, madness to my method?? Whatever.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

And just to keep up to date with my Farm Girl blocks, I am showing the ones I have completed since my last Farm Girl update. Sorry about the quality; I just threw them down and snapped pictures; no pressing, no removal of stray threads or cat  supervisor hair or anything.

Sunday Morning Block

Tumbleweed Block

Welcome Block
I have two more blocks left officially (in the sew-along): Winter Star and Woolly Sheep. But to get the total number of blocks I need for the Farm Girl Quilt, I will also be sewing a Bee, possibly a cow (I think I may have found a good pattern), and some blocks for the long shams I will need for the decorative pillows.  Also, hubby wants a tractor pillow, and a pattern for a large tractor is in Lori Holt’s book (Farm Girl Vintage), which we are going on. So, that is also on the agenda.

Finally, I have started making some zip pouches for gifts (birthdays, Christmas). The first two were sooooo cute, but I didn’t get pictures of them before I sent them off to my daughter in Seattle.  But that is OK; I plan to sew lots more.

I am linking up to Scrappy Saturday at Angela’s So Scrappy blog. If you have scraps, or even if you don’t, we would love to have you join us!!

Cathy maroon

13 comments:

  1. I love your brown blocks; the perfect pattern for using up small pieces. The three orange to yellow are lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. those colorful log cabins are great. Oh the pic of boomer... so gorgeously sweet
    LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I do like the brown! It really will fit in nicely with the bright and happy colors. Love your Farmer's Wife Quilt. It is on my list for next. So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've been busy with both ORANGE and BROWN alike!! Enjoy the rest of BROWN month as we dig out some of our 'dark side of the rainbow' scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Supervisor hair - love it!! I don't have a supervisor any more (DH developed a bad allergy) and I rather miss those hairs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely blocks for the rainbow scrap challenge. Your farm girl blocks have some lovely fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love all your prints and blocks. Personally, I've never regretted using browns, blacks and grays in my RSC finished quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've been busy making more great blocks. Thanks (not) for the reminder that Christmas is not that far off. I'm spinning in Halloween then I jump to Christmas. The only thing on my mind for Thanksgiving is my dinner menu and grocery list!
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous log cabin blocks -- love them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The yellow-orange block does make a nice transition for the colors. The brown will fit in nicely also. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay!! You are almost ready for a quilt! Yes, brown will fit in just fine! And, looks like you are close to a Farm Girl quilt too. Having fun????

    ReplyDelete
  12. The brown blocks are lovely Cathy...I too would have been hesitant to use brown, but these are just wonderful and will go well with your quilt. Hope all is well with you and family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not a fan of brown but I love the text prints and the other colours! have you seen the 'curved' version of log cabin in the Sew Kind of Wonderful sampler booklet? :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!