Friday, July 31, 2026

I’m Guessing - Purple?

Hi friends. It’s the start of a new month (or will be in a few hours as I’m writing this in the evening of July 31). A new month means a new color of the month for us “Rainbow Scrapettes”  - followers of and participants in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. Hostess Angela has a weekly Scrappy Saturday post where we come together to show our progress. The announcement of a new color will be in her blog post on Saturday, but I took a hint from one of her blog pictures last week and decided to take a chance on purple for August. I guess we’ll find out soon enough if I guessed correctly. 

Here are four Gameboard blocks that will finish at 8”. 

I wish I’d thought to gather up all my Gameboard blocks made so far this year and snap a photo. But it’s late and dark now, and photos without natural light in my sewing room are awful. So I’ll do that next month for sure.

The only other thing I sewed this week were three more big potato chip blocks for my friend Joan’s quilt. Here are all six together. I’m halfway done with these.

Not much was accomplished on the sewing front for me this past week. I was too busy with other things, and I don’t pivot from one thing to another quickly. Especially if there’s coffee and a good book nearby! 

We had contractors here to start measuring and giving us bids on some remodeling we’re planning (more on that as it develops), a termite inspection (done by the HOA and we’re termite-free), another routine test and doctor visit for Bruce at the VA up in Salt Lake (all is well), a luncheon and shopping with a friend, and I did some clothes shopping last weekend. I’ve decided I detest clothes shopping. I used to love it when I was younger and more energetic, but now it’s just a chore. Sheesh, I sound like a grumpy old woman! Truly, I’m not!!

So, for Saturday, we’re going to the Farmer’s Market to scout for peaches, tomatoes (we’re jonesing for some BLT sandwiches) and maybe some cheap perennial plants for the courtyard. Then we head up to Salt Lake City to a showroom to begin picking out floorings, cabinets, knobs, fireplace materials and Stuff. And I have to finish writing the HOA newsletter for August and get that published to our portal. But I’d rather be busy than bored! And come Sunday, it’ll be another Church of Bernina sewing day in my sewing room, so there’s that. I can’t wait! Life is good. 

Edited to add: Arrrgh!  The color of the month for August for the RSC is YELLOW!! (It’s a good thing I don’t play the lottery, eh?!). Well, I’ll put away my purple, but I have a great head start for next month!

3 comments:

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

I feel the same way about clothes shopping. The prices are out of sight and often so is the fit! LOL It is an exhausting endeavor! I like your purple blocks. I often stitch via Zoom with friends on Sunday. I liked your Church of Bernina reference though!

cbott said...

I detested shopping for clothes as a teen/young woman, mainly because I was tall and lanky and the clothing industry hadn't yet factored "tall" into its equations of how to fit all sizes of women. Nowadays I wear primarily jeans and men's Hawai'ian shirts, and hit up a Goodwill when I'm in the mood for a fresh cotton garment. I get so many compliments on the shirts I wear!

Need to pop outside before it gets too hot and take shot of my latest quilt finish!

Carolyn

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your purple gameboard blocks are pretty as can be, Cathy - no matter what month you share them in! What have you been reading? I'm always curious to know! Good luck with the remodel - it will be wonderful in the end.