Anyway, after Ruby brought back the re-quilted quilt, I trimmed and bound it, so it will come with me to our Quilts for Kids (QFK) workshop tomorrow, Saturday, where it will be donated with about a dozen other finishes from the last couple months. Here I tried pinning it up on the design board.
I thought I’d try getting a better picture of it outside, but then I remembered they were spraying all the lawns in our condo community for bill bugs. So, I had to settle for the courtyard deck. Luckily, the quilts all get washed before being presented to the kids.
While I was out in the blazing heat courtyard, I snapped a picture of my Greenstalk garden planter, blooming happily away in the filtered light of the Japanese maple. The area behind it used to be a shade garden, but we lost the shade when they took out our big tree last month. So, it’s cleared out for now and I’ll be replanting some different things this fall and next spring.
Shopping for plants is, for me, second only to fabric shopping!
With my trusty Brother machine, “Bob”, I sewed a batch of 15 crumb blocks that will finish at 6”, to be used like the string blocks in quilt kits that QFK distributes.
So this week I began sewing four of each color - two green with white trim and two green with black trim into 8.5” blocks. Once all the colors were all sewn into bigger blocks, pressed and trimmed I started playing with them up on the design wall. Here is the first layout.
Hmmm…. Looks a bit chaotic. Bruce said “It looks like the inside of my brain!” (He has ADHD).
Then I turned some blocks 90 degrees, and this is what appeared. Bruce said “Much better! It looks like the inside of your brain!”
But first, tomorrow morning is our QFK workshop, and I usually just bring along string blocks to work on for that. We are having a big family gathering later that evening for the August birthdays of my daughter-in-law Kim and my granddaughter London, who will be turning 17. London is coming over at 3pm and we’re going shopping at the mall. Then her boyfriend and the rest of the family will join us for dinner at Red Lobster (London’s choice). She still loves naming the live lobsters in the tank with grandpa Bruce! I’m looking forward to it all!
Have a great week! Life is good.









Both layouts are great!
ReplyDeleteThank you Karen!
DeleteYou have so many lovely projects coming together, Cathy--But of course I just am smitten with those purple crumb blocks...;)))--
ReplyDeleteMy machine is acting up again--the back of my stitching is just a rat's nest--I won't tell you about the "language" that followed me out of my sewing room yesterday!!
Nurts!!! ;(((...Hope your weekend is a good one...hugs, Julierose
Wasn't that from Rick O'Shay?
DeleteCarolyn (also old)
I'm with Karen about the layouts. I too was smitten with the purple crumb blocks! Thank goodness for back up machines! I hope you have a great time with family!
ReplyDeleteFour weeks seems like a long time but I guess they have to work to their priorities. Good thing you have a backup!
ReplyDeleteThe purples are great - one of my favourite colours. And...I rather agree with Bruce that the first layout is a bit busy.
I like the 2nd layout. It is calmer, but still loaded with color. Enjoy the birthday gathering. Time with family should always have priority.
ReplyDeletePat
your quilts are looking good and your flower pot tree is pretty
ReplyDeleteI love Fan of the Library, Cathy - that's such a fun finish! Your purple crumb blocks are looking good, too. I'm ready to get some purples out this afternoon. Such interesting layout possibilities for those black and white square in a square blocks. Have a wonderful time with your family!
ReplyDeleteI don't comment often, but the purple crumb quilt caught my eye. So fun! And the Fan of the Library is so unique! Great work on everything!
ReplyDeletesorry about the anonymous. hope this works.
DeleteLove Bruce's description of his brain using your first layout. It explains a LOT to those of us not burdened with ADHD.
ReplyDeleteCarolyn
I have been enjoying watching the library quilt come together. Isn't great you have a back up machine, so you can continue piecing?
ReplyDeleteI like both layouts, but that last one is less busy. Love those Switchplate blocks too.
ReplyDeleteCatching up on blog posts after my trip . . . I really like your Fan of the Library and the feather quilting is terrific. Pretty purples, too.
ReplyDeleteLove the purples & you're off to a great September start, before the month even begins! As for the 2021 RSC, it's amazing how different the blocks look in the two different layouts! I love Bruce's commentary!
ReplyDeleteCathy, I am so happy to see you have kept up your blog!! I just decided today to get back to blogging on Fiberfabrications.blogspot.com. I love to write, finding it relaxing and a way to document my life.
ReplyDeleteLinda!!!!! It’s so good to hear from you - I’ve wondered so many times how you’ve been doing. I’ll check out your blog, and we’ll have to catch up!, xo
ReplyDelete