Saturday, February 22, 2020

Rolling in the Orange

This week I had four good sewing days (or half-days) and got so much done. Part of my motivation is that today is our monthly Quilts for Kids workshop (and a Scrappy Workshop, which we have once a quarter - my favorite!). I had three quilts made by others that I had to baste and quilt; one was done before we went on vacation, but two I did this week. No pictures, because I don’t count those in my personal totals.  :-)

This week I mainly focused on sewing orange blocks for February that I’ve chosen for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. Today is our linkup, and as always there is so much fun and creativity on display as everyone shares their goodies for Scrappy Saturday

My first finish of the week was this Scraptastic Star block. It measures 16.5” and I’ll be making a total of nine of these.


Next I churned out ten 6.5” Twin Sisters blocks. I love these blocks! They are so quick and easy. 


And I must have something for “sisters” this year, because I also sewed up 10 International Sisters Blocks (pattern courtesy of my friend Preeti).


The dresses of these Sisters are (all except one) made from African fabrics, and most will be going into fundraising wall hangings for Harambe Humanitarian. That’s why there are so many with the same fabrics. I used up all my African orange fabrics. Each wall hanging will only use 8 sisters, and I’m planning on several (at least 6) more of these wall hangings. I will be working on assembling at least two of them in March, and will talk more about them - and Harambe Humanitarian - at that time. A lot has been happening that I would like to share.

Moving along....  Here are my 17 orange string blocks. They measure 6.5”. 


And I assembled (from previously-sewn and quilted panels) another scrap bucket for my orange scraps. This is a cute and simple pattern courtesy of Angela at So Scrappy.  It measures about 7x10” and is 10” deep. It’s currently holding all my leftover scraps. I’ll be sewing on those this coming week to see if I can put together an orange quilt using them, along with lots of orange orphan blocks. Stay tuned.


Last week I also showed a couple scrappy quilts in process. Here is my progress on those. All of the string star blocks are done, but only the bottom three are sewn together - but not pressed yet. The goal this coming week is to turn this into a flimsy, and then quilt and bind it. Month-end is next Saturday, and I want to count this as a finish for February.


I also showed this in-progress scrap quilt, made with a pack of Rainbow Charms and some low volume (neutral) string scraps.  Here is finished Rainbow Charms #1. It is my February OMG (One Monthly Goal), so I’m linking up to Patty’s February goal finish link-up party here.


I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked this when it was completed; it looks so much more vibrant and fun in person. In fact, there were enough charms to do another whole quilt. That second one is already sewn. I’ve layered and basted it, so it’s just waiting for its turn to be quilted. That will happen this weekend. I’ll have that to show next week, along the finished string stars and my February recap.

That’s it for now. I’m off early this morning to my Block of the Month class, then home for a few minutes to pack off and head in another direction to the Quilts for Kids scrappy workshop, then lunch with friends. Have a great week!

16 comments:

  1. WOW your oranges are "juicing up" really well lol
    I love those Internationl Sisters..just so adorable...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like those 'Sisters' blocks - that is a very clever pattern and so perfect for the cause you support. Like the idea of the scrap buckets too but I have no room for such a thing in my small sewing space.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really know how to make the most of your quilting time!!! Love the bits of ORANGE scattered throughout your week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty orage blocks! Mixed with white, they are very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you've been so productive! Orange is a color that you usually don't think about sewing...but when you do, you love it! Hugs, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have lots of pretty orange in your post today, Cathy! I love the Rainbow Charms quilt, too - what a great idea for using up charm squares I certainly have a ton of those!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have done such a lot of sensational sewing, churning out block after block. I would be hard pressed to say what I like best, the stars and the cute little twin sister blocks. Oh, and I really want to make a couple of those cute little scrap buckets too, so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So much to love! You've making fabulous blocks all over the place, and they're even better in orange!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The orange Sisters are lookin' mighty spicy! And both of your string projects have me drooling!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lots of fun here. I've missed the whole month of orange while traveling.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, such scrappy goodness!
    I really like how that charm quilt turned out too. I probably have enough odds and ends around to give that a try. It's a nice donation quilt idea I think.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed seeing all the different orange blocks you've got going. Lots of good projects. Hope lunch was as good as the company!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm thinking about just printing out your entire blog, since I am inspired by all of your blocks, every month! The Rainbow Charms with the scrappy neutrals is singing my name, and the star block looks like a perfect way to use some (OK, a ton) of rainbow nine patches that I already have made. Thanks again for sharing your super creative brain with us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow you have a LOT of orange. Not something I have a lot of myself.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lots of juicy sunshine and fun energy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Rainbow charms is very pretty! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!