Saturday, October 5, 2019

October in the Scrap Patch

Our pumpkins are all picked, sorted and most of them have been given to family. I think we'll make a quick weekend trip up to Idaho in the next week or two to visit daughter Emily and family who moved there from Colorado just before school started.  Our garden has nothing left in it but three tomato bushes who haven't read the memo yet that autumn is here. They're still producing, and so we'll keep picking tomatoes until we can't. But the patio furniture is going into hibernation this weekend. I'm ready.

I also plan to decorate the house for autumn this weekend. First, however, I want to finish the pumpkin wall hanging I'm working on. (Punkin' Patch from String Frenzy by Bonnie Hunter).  The pumpkin blocks are all sewn and in formation. I used lots of gray scraps for the background. The green patchwork border is all sewn together, and the top border is attached to the quilt. The sides and bottom are just pinned. Finishing up the border won't take long, then I can sandwich the whole thing up and quilt it. Oh, and then bind it and add a hanging sleeve. I'm pretty sure I can finish today. It should measure about 28x42".


The backing will be one of these three orange fabrics. The center one is my favorite, and the one on the right is next favorite. That's why I probably won't use them. The method to that madness is that I'll save them for the front of a gender-neutral kids quilt. So I'll probably use the one on the left. I'd like to have some bright orange binding, but I'll check to see what I have for that. It may end up green or gray.

For October, the colors selected for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge are dark neutrals; black, gray, brown. I dug in my scraps to get the gray backgrounds for the Punkin' Patch quilt above, but otherwise haven't sewn any of my ongoing RSC blocks yet. I've got the rest of the large drawerful of  black and gray scraps roughly sorted by value, with the strings in separate piles. Next, I'll tackle my brown drawer and combine the two. I think I'll have enough to do at least two, possibly three quilts. But in the meantime, we can all hop over to the Scrappy Saturday post because there's always lots of good scrappy inspiration there!


From these scraps, I'll first do the tumbler blocks for my Gumdrops rainbow tumbler quilt of fabric and selvages. That'll give me time to select a quilt pattern or two for these scraps. I'm thinking of a Jacob's Ladder-type quilt (HSTs and 4-patches) with dark/light values for one of the quilts and some sort of string quilt for the other. After that, I may just make crumb blocks and alternate them with some wild colors or multi-colored prints and play on the design board. A lot of creative possibilities to look forward to!

Cousin Kim and I joined a Block of the Month class at one of our local quilt stores. I don't think I've shown my first block(s).  The purple one is for the class (their fabrics) and the multi-and-blue one is a second block I made for a potential kids quilt. I have a lot of that print fabric and will just follow along with the BOM blocks and add a second one for this quilt.


Have a beautiful autumn weekend everyone! Unless you're in the Southern Hemisphere (Jenny, I know YOU are) - then have a nice spring weekend!

14 comments:

  1. Your pumpkins are so fun, Cathy! I have that book, and really like that project, too. It's such a great way to make pumpkins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the wall hanging. I found the RSC watching Bonnie's Quilt cam. She had pulled the blocks out to work on. She explained how she had found a blogger who each month sewed with a different color. I was intigued. I dnt looking for and found it. So glad I love following along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pumpkin patch is so pretty. I love it. Maybe I could do a green 4 patch inner border like that for my Field of Poppies. Thanks for the inspiration. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving your pumpkins--that green border looks just right with them, too...still no sewing here...tried and got eye strain...
    hugs, Julierose ;((( (S I G H)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, your pumpkins look great! Such a fun quilt for fall. Love those happy greens in it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love those pumpkins. It’s such a great size!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, it is Spring down here, and such a gorgeous day it's been. Especially after all the rain the previous day! I love your pumpkin blocks, they looknfun to make.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your pumpkins....i don't know if i will get to that pattern this year. Maybe if next year's rainbow scrap challenge includes orange....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, those Pumpkins as SEW sweet!! Have fun with your BLACK scrappy bits, Cathy. I'll be interested to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your bouncy pumpkins! What a happy quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have some string pumpkin blocks made for last year's Autumn Jubilee at From my Carolina home (or maybe the year before?). I should pull them out and actually make them into something since it's the season. We had a light frost Friday night, but not enough to actually kill anything.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the fresh green border on your quilt and the green binding would really be nice final touch.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think there is something seriously wrong with your blog time stamp. It shows that last week you were making orange strips, then there is other sewing in between and then all of a sudden there is a quilt top with pumpkins. And my time stamp is in reverse, where the blog says there is a new day when only a hour has passed. Please fix this immediately or I will turn 85 sometime next week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I must try to get my hands on a copy of that book, just so I can see the patterns inside. Your pumpkin quilt is really cute and if I decorated for Halloween I would definitely want to make one.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!