Saturday, June 8, 2019

Sewing the Blues

Can you believe that in three short weeks the year will be half over? The rhythm of the seasons feels more like an aerobics exercise tune than a waltz, at least to me. But we did have a couple lovely slow afternoons this week where we were able sit out on the patio with our beverages. We read our books, talked and gazed at the garden loveliness, all thoughts of chores and errands and obligations held at bay. It was so peaceful. And when the (inevitable) rain started up again, it was time to head back indoors to the sewing machine!

We have a new color of the month for June in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge - blues from mid-range to dark tones, including navy. I wasted no time getting started because there are a lot of sewing things I want to get accomplished this month in addition to my RSC blocks.

First, as usual, I worked with my dark blue selvages to make 4 four-patches, which I then sewed into one big block. 


Then I cut my dark blue selvage tumblers and blue fabric tumblers and sewed those together into a dark blue row.


Below are the tumblers with the rest of the rows. There will be a light blue row inserted between the teal and the dark blue. But the light blue is for another month. There will be a pink row (or two) above the red and then purple and who-knows-what else below the blue.


I also got a lot more RSC blocks cut, but the only other ones sewn up this week were these nine Cracker blocks. 


I’m linking up to Scrappy Saturday at Angela’s So Scrappy blog and to Oh Scrap! on Sunday at Cynthia’s blog.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Also, for those of you who just visit on Rainbow Scrap Saturdays, I did finish my Good Fortune quilt this week and blogged about it HERE.  I also included some garden pictures. Have a great week!

11 comments:

  1. Oh Cathy I adore your tumbler project! Such a great way to use selvages!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your selvedge tumblers are so pretty--How wide do you cut your selvedge strips? I have normally just ripped 'em off and tossed them (I know, really??); but after seeing so many neat projects made with them, I think I will be a bit more careful with their removal...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your selvage projects, too! The rainbow rows of tumblers are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must have a great stash of SELVEDGE strips, and I do like both of the designs you are making with them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The blues in your sewing room are definitely not sadness! Such lovely, clear happy blues :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great use of your dark BLUE strings this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think my fav are the Crackers. Reminds me of the CQ Cracker exchange!

    You've done some fun things with selvages.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so impressed that you can balance quilting, your blog and real life. Although Molly just jumped up to the keyboard to assert that I have to stop referring to Twitter as real life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your tumbler RSC is lovely, and I really like how you're incorporating the selvages in every other block. But don't tell me the year is half over -- I'm still shell-shocked and slowly coming back to Earth after graduation weekend. I feel all out of sorts and don't know what to do with myself. Someone told me that Hobby Lobby is putting all of their Fall displays out already -- they must be in cahoots with the pharmaceuticals industry, trying to get us all to ask our doctors about the latest anti-anxiety medication we saw advertised on TV! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The tumbler quilt with selvages will be awesome and gorgeous. I love the cracker blocks. If the year is half over that means we are getting closer to fall - which is the best time of the year :-) I am ok with that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm going to enjoy this month because blue is my favourite colour. We had a couple of nice days and now we're back into rain, rain and more rain for the next several days. How we wish we could send some of it out west where they are in such a serious drought.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!