Saturday, June 29, 2019

June Sewing Recap

The month may not be quite over, but I’m probably not going to finish much else before it’s official. Actually, I’ve been spending a lot of time quilting some small baby-sized quilts for Quilts for Kids - I think I have 6 of them on hand - and that’s been a nice change from the dark blue scraps of June.

I also made my One Monthly Goal (OMG) target, which was to finish the BASE of the Blossoms and spokes wall hanging.  So, I’m linking up to Patty’s OMG linky party at Elm Street Quilts.


Bruce asked me what the blob of peach stuff in the basket was. “Gum?” Haha! I had to explain that it’s the base for the flower collage. You know, in case there are little spaces in between the collaged fabric flowers. You can see (near the handlebars) that I actually cut some flowers from floral fabrics. But It’s just too difficult to get lots of disparate floral prints to play well together. So, I’ll probably use the pattern instructions and templates to cut flower and leaf pieces from various prints to fill the basket. But that’s a task for later - maybe next month?

And here are the blue blocks I sewed in June for my various Rainbow Scrap Challenge projects.


The 5.5” crumb blocks that I made (8 of them) were made into four Beachcomber blocks. In the future I’ll show and count the Beachcomber blocks instead of the component parts. Anyway, my blue blocks totaled 66 this month.

Cousin Kim made these shorts for her adult son Nick from some of the African fabric I brought home last year. He really liked the fabric. So, since his favorite shorts had worn out, Kim took them apart and used them as a pattern to make the new ones. Th new pair is sheer perfection in craftsmanship. Even the pockets have french seams. They look store-bought and fit Nick perfectly! Way to go, Kimmie!!

My Crumbcakes flimsy is done and still waiting to be basted.  I’m just too tired to baste it now because to do that I’d either have to completely clear off my four sewing tables or mop the dining area floor. I just can’t face it this weekend! The past week was crazy: Farmer’s Market, two trips and hikes around Wheeler Farm, farewell gathering at Weight Watchers for our retiring leader, tending granddaughter on Tuesday, entertaining grandkids all day Thursday, entertaining sewing friends (Wednesday afternoon sewing!), Quilts for Kids workshop and sewing, grocery shopping, errands. I’m pooped. Tonight we’re having dinner at son Ryan (and DIL Kim’s) house with them and the grandkids Eason and Lauren. Should be a nice, relaxing visit. And I don’t have to cook!

I’m going to do a separate post in a couple days on the Wheeler Farm visits with the grandkids because they’re so cute and because there is so much new at the farm this year. We love that it’s just a block away from us. But right now, it’s time to go relax....

14 comments:

  1. Congratulations on reaching your OMG, I love this bicycle. Pretty - and numerous!- blue blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PHEW--time to relax for sure...I love your blues for the month...especially those crumb blocks--I love crumbs (cake crumbs, brownie crumbs, even leftover brown stuff on pans hahaha)...Enjoy your resting time hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Molly thinks your peach blob is a very realistic rendering of Buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the background on your bike quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a LOT of blocks you completed in dark BLUE!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your collage of blue blocks is so amazing, Cathy! You got a lot done this month! I really love the bicycle project - especially that pieced background. That' going to be beautiful with the basket full of flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your bicycle for OMG is absolutely wonderful. I like the background and I know the collage of flowers will turn out well. Lots of beautiful blues, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your BLUE RSC blocks/projects are amazing! So many different projects going at once. I do believe you've earned a relaxing evening. Tomorrow is another day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love all the blue scrappiness! Can't wait to see how your flower basket turns out - I'm sure it will be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Having the base fabric for the flower collage is a great idea. Flowers are difficult to mix in prints because each is a different size or color scheme. Sounds like you had a fun week. Tell Kim she did a terrific job on those shorts. Happy Fourth of July!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice bicycle block! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Look at you go! That's an impressive and lovely assortment of blue blocks for June. Your DH's "gum" comment made me laugh :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha ha - gum - must have been one heck of a wad!!!! I must say I'm rather sad that June is gone and so is the blue.....

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!