Saturday, May 11, 2019

Is it Saturday Again Already?

It’s been another busy week with mostly beautiful spring weather. If you’re visiting for Scrappy Saturday at the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, welcome! But during this past week in two separate blog posts, I shared lots of quilts from the UQSM (Utah Quilt and Sewing Marketplace) - Utah’s only major quilt show on the national circuit. If you’re interested in quilts, you may want to check those out.

Front shade bed with brunnera blooming
In addition to last week’s quilt show, we visited and dined with friends, met with Emily Bailey from Aunt Em’s Scrapbag (more later in the post) to drop off quilts for Hands2Help, went to a plant sale at the arboretum and walked around Historic Fort Douglas (more on that in a separate post), plus worked in the garden. Whew! This week promises to be just as busy with family visits and Mother’s Day, more garden work (my Talavera flower pots in the front yard are almost finished!), dentist appointments, plus we’re having two new windows installed in the front of the house.


The only Rainbow Scrap Challenge sewing I got done this week is this group of 10 Cracker blocks.


But at least I got the next blocks cut out and ready to sew; 11 Anvil blocks. I spent a lot of time sewing this week, but what was I doing? Well, I knew I had 9 donation quilts ready for Hands2Help, but I decided to hurry and get a 10th one sewn up. 

This is my second stacked coins quilt using the instructions provided by the H2H hostess, Sarah of Confessions of a Fabric Addict. I cut it out on Friday and sewed the strips together on Friday and Saturday. On Sunday I made the blocks and constructed the top. On Monday I basted and began quilting. On Tuesday I finished quilting and binding, and then washed it up. We delivered it on Wednesday. First, here’s the quilt.


I ran out of the green fabric for the sashing, so I couldn’t add borders to the top and bottom. This one finished out at 55x60”.  The backing is the leftover green fabric that I used for my Good Fortune quilt, which is still basted and waiting its turn under the needle for quilting. The binding was a cute green stripe.


The quilting I did with a lot of hooks and swirls and echoes of the swirls and flowers. It’s more quilting than I usually do, but I wanted to just relax and zone out and see what I could do. Overall, I love the texture and am pleased with it, wobbles and all. This quilt, my first finish this quarter, is #6 on my 2nd Quarter 2019 Finish-Along list, HERE.

So, one of the real highlights of the week for me, then, was getting to meet up with Emily Bailey, who runs the Quilty Hugs for Happy Chemo, a Hands2Help charity that actually encompasses 3 outlets; Primary Children’s Hospital, The Huntsman Cancer Center and the Rack Pack (breast cancer patients). This is the second year we’ve met up.


I may be joining Emily and her group for their monthly Quilty Hugs meeting occasionally. It meets the same time as my Tuesday Weight Watchers meeting, but I think I can skip that once in awhile (wink). Anyway, it was good to see Emily again, as well as have another order of the lovely soaps I bought from her Etsy shop hand delivered! Thanks so much, Emily! And I’m linking up to the Hands2Help final tall post HERE.

Oh! I almost forgot. This quilt is also coming together; it’s my OMG (One Monthly Goal) for May. All 120 of the 6.5” blocks are made and have been sewn together in fours to form the 30 large 12” blocks. Here are 16 of them pinned up on the design wall. Putting this top together, plus sewing orange RSC blocks will be my focus for the week ahead.


13 comments:

  1. Lots of fun sewing going on at your place! Love the green quilt you finished... and your UFO string quilt is fabulous with the black stars!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so impressed with your 10 quilts for Happy Chemo - wowie! Every single one is going to bring so much comfort to someone. I really like that Stacked Coins pattern, too - I have to put that one on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to you on that awesome delivery of Quilty Hugs!!

    And I really like your String Stars. Very striking!

    Rainy weather here so it's tough to get any gardening done. Historic river crest here too with lots of flooding including almost two feet of water in our basement. Yuck! This old house....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your generous donation. It will bring so much comfort, hope and love. I really appreciate your generosity. It was so nice to see you again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Cathy! It's so impressive to see all your Happy Chemo quilts all displayed together. They represent a LOT of time, work and heart. Thank you for being such a generous soul. I think the newest green coins piece is my fave of the bunch. Was that a charm pack from a single fabric line? Really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your green coins quilt is wonderful! I'm sure it will bring a smile to someone's face. Thanks for sharing your quilty creations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful donation for Hands2Help, Cathy!! I'm amazed that you were able to whip out a 10th quilt SEW quickly. Although, I suppose there's no reason to be surprised!! :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. And here I am trying to finish 2 36"X 36" quilts for Jack's Basket. You're so productive. And lucky that you can hand deliver your cache in person. I can't imagine how much it would cost to mail them all. Love the string quilt,too.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your cracker blocks are absolutely awesome. But then I saw the string blocks and my mouth is still open. Your OMG is breathtakingly beautiful. I am sure H2H is happy to receive the green coins quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stacked coins = four days of pedal to the metal!! Not quite sure how you found time to do anything else!! Nice to see your smiling face along with your quilts. And your OMG quilt looks stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just amazing!! So much color and creativity. You have been one very busy quilter! Your OMG is striking - really gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How wonderful to have 10 quilts to donate. And it must really warm the soul when you get to personally deliver them to Emily too. I can think of nothing better than getting to see the smile on her face when you presented her with those quilts. Your OMG is absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I’m kind of glad you ran out of border fabric for the stacked coins quilt. It emphasizes the stacked-ness of the design. How neat that you could deliver quilts in person!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!