Friday, March 15, 2019

Lots of Green Scraps Tamed

This week just flew by! The weather changed about every other day from rain to warm to snow to warm again. “Warm” is relative - in the forties (Fahrenheit). Nice enough to actually feel the sun and believe that spring is coming. There are a few spring bulbs poking their heads up, so I’m hopeful that Old Man Winter is on his last legs. Serves the old buzzard right!

It was fun to sew with green this week, and that’s about all I did in the studio. Cut scraps, press, sew. First up were the Anvil blocks. That third one down on the right looks like aqua, but it really is green. It’s much more clear when it’s up against blue. I haven’t decided about how to set them yet, but if the blocks are set in 4’s, I’ll have to see how that block plays. If the blocks are set randomly, it won’t matter. 


Next up was the nine-patch variation blocks. I am leaning toward sewing them together as they are shown here, although these are not sewn, just hanging around on the design board. I love these blocks!


And I’ve added a new block to the rotation - garlic knots. I’m using the same 2.5” squares as in the above blocks.  I made 12 of them. 


My Crumbcake blocks - those will be sewn next week - are almost finished. After green, there are only 7 little 6” blocks to sew. I’m thinking I’ll wrap that one up in April, so adding in the green garlic knots this week is good because I was drowning in green scraps. But I’ve got a couple ideas up my sleeve to whip the green scraps into submission! 

Also, I fixed the wonky patch in last week’s selvage block.  Much better 


Have a wonderful St. Patrick’s Day! Do you cook anything special or celebrate in any way? We don’t (but Bruce loves that Guinness beer is always on sale in March!!)

Linking up to Rainbow Scrap Challenge.

10 comments:

  1. I like guiness beer too. you have been sewing lots, and it's good to see green inside if not outside yet. Sounds like you are in Spring, and I am still dreaming of it. Lots of snow and ice left after the blizzard, but better than the flooding the middle states are getting. I did hear birds this morning... yea!
    LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love those 9 patch variation blocks! They make a neat design! Your garlic knots look great, too - I'm going to have to make more of those myself. Let's hope we have a more Spring-y feeling week coming up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The snow is almost gone here except for the big mounds. It’s so great but no sign of spring yet. However, the birds are coming back pretty fast now, and I love hearing them with my open windows. My maiden name is Fitzpatrick , but I hate corned beef. My German husband also loved the corn beef, so every year I cooked it but did not enjoy it. I will celebrate the green grass and wear is Shamrock. Happy Saint Patrick’s day! You’re a nine patch variation blocks look like a natural foursome. As usual you have the biggest stash– busting every week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Drowning in GREEN scraps? I can't think of a better way to go!!! :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've got a bunch of fun blocks here, and they all look great in green!
    And yes, the time is going by way too fast! How did it get to be St Patrick's Day already?!?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your choices for background fabrics for the anvils. And sorry to make time speed up so much...but that's what happens when there are deadlines.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great looking green blocks! Whenever we do green for the RSC, I always want to take off and make a flock of green quilts.
    If Bruce likes Guinness, I highly recommend this recipe: https://sisterschoice.typepad.com/sisters_choice_quilts/2011/03/corned-beef-recipe-.html
    You may need to downsize the amounts for just the two of you, but it is THE BEST corned beef recipe ever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, good...another Garlic Knotter!

    I like Guinness too. I picked up a liking for it when we took a trip to Ireland. Supposedly you can live on Guinness alone. Guess you'd have to drink a lot of it, though. I don't think I'd be able to sew very well if I went on that Guinness diet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. For some reason greens seem to be a happy color - could be because we're so sick and tired of snow and dull grey days. No special celebrations here for the 17th - I even forgot to wear green (oops). Guinness is not on my radar - to me it tastes awful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i'm loving your 9 patch variation! and the garlic knots are looking great!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!