Saturday, January 26, 2019

The End of the Red

I say this every year in January, but hasn’t this month dragged on For.Ev.Er? Why is January so dang long, and spring just flits by in an instant? A question for the ages.

But we had a delightfully bright color, RED, to work with this January, and it has Sparked Joy for many of us. Yes, that is yet another reference to Marie Kondo. I think that her Joy Sparking will be the subject of punchlines in no time. Maybe even by the end of this never-ending month.  In the meantime, to spark your own Joy of the color red, why not hop on over to Angela’s blog and check out the Rainbow Scrap goodness??

Here is a recap of what I finished in the Red Department this month:


Top Rows, L-R:
10    Cracker blocks, 7.5” unfinished
12    Lover’s Knot 9-patch blocks, 6.5” unfinished
1      Row of Tumblers (plain and selvages) - about 8 selvage tumblers
5      Anvil blocks, 8.5”
Middle Row:
6      Strip blocks, 9.5” (plus one at 8.5” that ended up in the Parts Department)
1      Scottie Dog Quilt (or scottie god quail, right Louise?) made for donation
Bottom Row:
1      Bitcoin block, 4.5x12.5”
2      Crumb blocks 6.5” sewn, then added to last year’s to make 3 Crumbcakes blocks
4      Selvage 4-patches, 8.5” each

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
This week I also finished two flimsies, as shown in my last post. They are Saguaro Sunset and the last of the selvage blocks (from last year’s RSC) that have been sewn into a pink-y flimsy. Both of them are now basted and ready to be quilted. Come hell or high water, I’m going to finish Saguaro Sunset by the end of the month to claim it as my finished January OMG (One Monthly Goal).  Oh look, here is Saguaro Sunset now, just shining away on the basting table, waiting its turn under the needle!


And just for fun, I want to show you part of Cousin Kim’s latest quilt. Lately she’s been finishing the quilt bindings at home, then gifts the the quilt and I never get a finished picture. But I wanted to show you her Jelly Roll Race quilt. When she finished sewing it together, we checked my stash for possible backings and found half of this amazing duvet cover I’d bought last year at a thrift store. It matched the colors perfectly.


The floral is the duvet cover, of course. Every color in the stripes (not all are shown) is represented in the floral print. It was meant to be. I quilted it for her in a simple stipple and snapped this picture before she took it away.

And finally, it’s time for some Gratuitous Cat Pictures. You’re welcome.

Alfalfa (Alfie)
As the picture above shows, Alfie is an alert and energetic cat. He has two speeds; ON and asleep. If he were a person, Bruce and I decided Alfie would be a cross between Robin Williams and Steve Martin. A wild and crazy Little Rascal!

Darla
And this is Miss Darla. She is sweet, shy cat with a squeaky voice. I haven’t quite figured out who she would be if she were a person. On one hand paw, she’s very girly and diva-ish and loves to cuddle. On the other, she is very athletic (jumping down 3 stairs in a single bound) and sneaky and can bop Alfie around when they tussle. Any ideas who she is? Do your pets have equatable human personalities?

15 comments:

  1. Love your quilts, especially the Saguaro! I guess if I ever make it to the desert, I'll need to make one like that. Pretty kitties! We have a tortie named Sydney, and she thinks she's the alpha, except when it comes to food. Our older girl is Zippy who was named from all the zipping around she did when younger. Sadly, they're not pals, just tolerate each other (Most of the time). I plan to finish a red heart top today for my red scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great progress on using up your reds! I stalled this week. You are very prolific!

    Your kitties are sooo cute (mom to 4 fur babies). Hmm, when you said she’s a bit of a diva and that she bops him in the head, I immediately thought of Cher in “Moonstruck” when she smacks the guy in the head and tells him to “Snap out of it!”.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all the read you worked on this month, especially the selvage 4 patch blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much RED sewing!!! Did you EVER leave your sewing room? Looking forward to what color comes next.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Cathy,

    Nice quilts and all that. And I'm wondering if you can tell me what Photoshop filters you used to get such an amazing and dapper photograph of Alfie. And my condolences to Darla who must have very horrible paw and ear diseases that were cropped out of the photo. Now excuse me while I go irritate staff with endless entreaties for attention.

    Respectfully,

    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you have done a lot with your reds this month. I am only tackling one set of blocks for RSC.
    Enjoyed meeting your kitties!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed seeing all your red progress, Cathy! Hooray for having Saguaro Sunset basted - I think that's the hardest step to get through. You're on the homestretch and the finish is in sight!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great choices for your RSC blocks [in red this month]; and as you know I {heart} that saguaro
    quilt a whole lot--I looked at the pattern and it is a lot of cutting and finding the right backgrounds..you have done a super job on this one..

    Still making my soup bowls and my snowballs..I have begun to use my scissors to trim up my snowballs..that saves me from more rotary work which really does me in these days..erg!!
    I am trying to incorporate more colors in those snowballs. Speaking of which--it is very cold here today--but no snow out there--only in here lol..hugs Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good stuff! Guess I am clueless on who is Marie Kondo and what is joy sparking. But I am clueless on lots of things!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! You have been busy this month! The Saguaro quilt is sooooo close!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your red blocks spark joy for me! Lovely. Congratulations on finishing the cactuses 🌵 they are beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  12. All your RSC projects this year look wonderful! Thanks for the introductions to Alfie and Darla - they look like the perfect quilting companions!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on your cactus finish. It looks just beautiful. I wish I could see it in person. Lots of good red stuff this week too, I see. If you have terrible freezing weather like us, stay warm and stay quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Cathy! For.Ev.Er. is right!! And little ole February isn't any better. How about Penny on Big Bang for Miss Darla? Penny can hog tie a calf in seconds yet uses her womanly wiles for free drinks. I have to laugh at Alfie - ON or asleep. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE the cat pictures and descriptions. Maybe she's Lucy Lu? I ALWAYS LOVES cat pictures. Do not think that January is so long when you get SO much SEWing done!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!