Monday, January 7, 2019

OMG or TMG?

One Monthly Goal or Two Monthly Goals?  What?!? Really, I can’t decide if I should list one - and which one? -  or both of these quilts as my One Monthly Goal for January. I’m linking up (slipping in under the wire) with Patty at Elm Street Quilts to set my goal, which I guess I’ll have to decide on by the end of this post.

The dilemma: this “Squirrel!” project popped up out of nowhere on Saturday (well, it came from my feeble brain). Why not make a kid-sized donation quilt out of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge color of the month, red? I had a couple yards of a cute scottie dog fabric just yapping its head off to be used. And I loved those little cracker blocks I had started making for the RSC. So, yesterday, this happened:


Forty-two 7.5” red cracker blocks of scottie-dog fabric. How easy it would be to claim this as my OMG!  It just needs the blocks sewn together. Then maybe/maybe not add a border, sew a backing, baste, quilt, and bind. Easy-peasy for a quilt this size; the work of an afternoon. But it would be a kinda-sorta cop out.

The other project that I MUST finish by February 6th (-ish, give or take a day or two) is Saguaro Sunset. This is where that stands.


Seven more cactuses (12.5 x 20.5") to piece (in squares of 2.5 inches) trying to build a sunset-like color gradation with a questionable amount of fabric. Plus sashing and borders, sewing a back, basting, quilting and binding. This one has trouble written all over it (but I loves me a good troublemaker!). The other thing is I know I can finish it by the February deadline (when we leave on vacation), but I don’t know if I can finish it by the end of January.

So, what to do??  OK, Executive Decision Time.

I am going to push myself to finish SAGUARO SUNSET in January. The dogs can wait, or provide comic relief (you ought to see how bad the point matching is) when I need a break from the prickly cacti.  Wish me luck. Better yet, come on over and I’ll put you to work behind my new back-up sewing machine, Bob.

13 comments:

  1. I really like the crackers set that way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it! If you can complete all those cracker blocks so quickly, I have no doubt you're up to the challenge of the cactus blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've got this! I'll wish you luck, but you totally don't need it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If anyone can do it, you can. Just throw some peanuts out to the squirrels and tell them to go away for a while.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Point matching is for wimps! We strong, bold women are sassy and confident enough to handle points that want to do their own thing. It don't bother us none! Meanwhile, those cacti have personality to spare :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, that Scottie Dog quilt is sooooooo cute.

    Good luck on your goal!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Cathy! I thought I was going to have to bring out your full formal name - which I do not know - to insist that you have to finish the cacti first. I so, so, SO understand those squirrels, and then couple that with yapping dogs barking at the squirrel no doubt. Well, the yapping will just have to diminish a bit and provide some relief in between the real deadline. Obviously I think you made a good choice for your OMG. And I had to laugh right out loud at OMG or TMG?!! Thanks for the giggle. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love, love the cacti quilt! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck with your project!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How much do I LOVE the cacti quilt!!!!! That fushia sends it right over the top!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Back when I took yoga...a useful instruction was...don't forget to breathe. Molly recommends purring. Both quilt projects are wonderful, and knowing you, both will end up as finished quilts for 2019.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the colors you are using for the cactus quilt - perfect for a sunset. I'm sure you'll finish in lots of time!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!