Saturday, January 19, 2019

In the Red ... Scraps

We are still playing with our red scraps for the January Rainbow Scrap Challenge, and today is the linky party over at Angela’s So Scrappy blog. Let me show you what I worked on this week.

First, I made three of these great blocks. Each block consists of 4 quadrants, each a 9-patch made of 2.5” (unfinished) squares. So, the finished block is 36 patches. At this stage, they measure 12.5” each. I have no idea what they’re called, but I first saw and fell in love with them on Jennifer C’s blog HERE.


I think these will offer some interesting setting possibilities down the road.

Last year in the RSC, I made 6.5” crumb blocks. This year I’m joining them together in fours, separated by a 1.5” black strip. I only needed to make two red crumb blocks this year to finish up these three 13.5” Crumbcake blocks.


There are a few crumbs left, but I left them to provide some variety for next year. However,  I did piece these little 1.5x2.5” bitcoins. I think everyone else probably did them 1.5x3.5”, but my scraps warranted this size. I have no idea what I’ll do with this 4.5x12.5” block yet, but as always, the scraps find a home.


Moving on, it was time for strings. I am overrun with strings, and so I'm resorting to a tried and true favorite, single-color string blocks. This time around, they measure 9.5” unfinished, and I had enough red strings to make six blocks.


In truth, I made seven of them, but I trimmed one wrong (8.5”), so it is now residing in the Parts Department.

I also finished quilting the red Scottie Dog donation quilt, which was a finished I talked about in my last post.  It’s made with red cracker blocks of scottie dog fabric. You can see it at the link there, or click in my newly-revised quilt pages above (just below the blog header). It’s my first finish of the year. BUT..... But Saguaro Sunset is hot on its heels!

So, this is where SS ended up as of yesterday afternoon. Two of the four cacti in the final row are pieced and sewn - they are on the bottom right.


The last two cacti (the bottom left two) are in various stages of piecing. I hope to finish these this weekend so I can finish up and layer the quilt in the next week. Besides the pieces pinned up on the board, this is all I have left to work with of the light yellow fabric (below). I’m having to use more of the plain yellow than I’d have wanted, but needs must. If I’ve got some pieces left over to fix some of those plain yellow areas, I’ll do it. Stay tuned.


And here are the strips that will be used for a final deep, bright contrasting border.


But before I get back to the cacti, I’ve got to finish quilting a Jelly Roll Race quilt for Cousin Kim. What surprised both Kim and me was that I had the PERFECT backing in my stash. It was a duvet cover that I’d bought at the thrift store last summer for $5. Being a duvet cover (2-sided), it yielded two huge floral backings - similar but slightly different. They are very bright and Monet-like, and the colors matched up with the jelly roll that Kim used like they’d been made for each other. Total serendipity! Pictures to come.

Have a great week, friends.

20 comments:

  1. I am enjoying the cacti blocks as they come along. I think the first block is lover's knot and it is really neat. I am impressed you are resorting your strings, mine scare me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post of those bright projects will keep one awake and happy!!!!
    luv, di

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the cactii! another unusual and original block to add to the RSC roundup! and thanks for the shout out, too! you can't go wrong with squares and 9 patches, really. i'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your work with RED this week is fabulous. SEW many wonderful quilts in the works!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you got lots of great blocks out of your red scrap bin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've got so many great ideas for scraps, Cathy! I like those first blocks you showed especially! The way you're setting your crumb blocks is really neat, too. As soon as I'm done quilting Squared Away, I'll be happy to have my machine back just to play!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, bitcoins are a lot of fun to make...so I think I will follow your lead and make some...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Strings go a long, long way, don't they? All your blocks look great. Those bitcoins would make a really nice border, especially in rainbow colors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the string blocks! And the border you are planning for the cacti quilt will be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your RSC projects are amazing! I just might copy the idea of using the black sashing to join 4 crumb blocks. I like it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cool layout with the 9-patches! Storing this idea away because I LOVE 9-patches. Oh, who am I kidding? I might have to go try making one or two RIGHT NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your red scrap blocks look great! I also bought a duvet cover to back a queen size quilt and, including fabric from both sides there was more than enough. I would love to find another one. Those first blocks you posted look similar to the Block Lotto Fireballs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cathy, you solved a problem for me today. For the RSC I making a couple of 8 inch blocks, but I needed one more good project. I checked out Jennifers blog to see the Lovers Knot and it’s definitely going to be my third block each month. As you probably know, for me bigger is better so I’m going to be happy to have a 12.5 inch block. The setting is really interesting and will make a great rainbow quilt. Your cactus cactus quilt looks really great. It’s so eye-catching, just gorgeous. Have a fun week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a productive time you're having. Love those new blocks based on 4 patch blocks. A really neat idea. Must note it in my little book! Your Cacti quilt project is looking great.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, real bitcoins are 1.5 x 2.5 so you can make them from 1.5 inch scraps or 2.5 inch scraps. Accept no substitutes.

    How nice to be able to view an awesome sunset any time.

    Crumbs and strings...always good to see what they become.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Cathy! All this pretty red reminds me of Valentine's Day. Plus it's one of my favorite colors, so it is so darn happy looking. I am still chuckling about the block banished to the Parts Department. I have to remember that one. I think my Parts Department may just need a good cleaning out and definitely an inventory taken since it's a new year. Hmm. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love all your red scraps and your cacti.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You got a lot done with your red scraps and I really like the first blocks you showed. Your cacti look fun!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your blog never fails to give me at least one good "stealable" idea! I really like the black sashing in the center of the crumb blocks. Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the crumb blocks - remind me a little of crazy quilting. And the cactus quilt is looking amazing!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!