Wednesday, January 23, 2019

A Couple Flimsies

I’ve got two quilt tops to show you today, both of which I hope to have finished into quilts by the end of the month. Saguaro Sunset is my priority of course, since it’s a gift with a deadline. But since I like to have more than one project going on at a time, and since my red scraps for January have been whipped into shape , I decided it was high time to finish the third and final selvage quilt from my 2018 Rainbow Scrap Challenge selvage blocks.

So, here is the selvage quilt top. Nothing too exciting. And as you can see, I had to sometimes turn the selvages sideways or upside down, but that’s just fine in my book. I’m the boss, not them.  :-)  For the top, I was able to use three different pink pieces for the sashing. One of them - the stripe - will also be the binding. I think I finished up all but the very lightest one. I love clearing things out.


I’ve got a Frankenbatt all ready to go, as well as a backing pieced from two other remnants. This will be basted today. Quilting won’t happen until after Saguaro Sunset is done.

And here is Saguaro Sunset. As much as I loved the deep royal purple border against these colors, I’m not sure the recipients would have appreciated the colors or the size. Or maybe that’s just an excuse to keep it small enough (it’s currently 58x72”) to manage basting it on my own with pins. It’s the dead of winter and way too cold to open the studio door for ventilation (if I use a spray baste).


I’m not crazy about the plain yellow at the bottom, as I’ve said before. But I ran out of the ombre fabric(s) and couldn’t get more. So, plain yellow it is. It’s not horrible, but it could’ve been better. Oh well, it’s still a pretty cool top. It’s certainly a technique I’d like to play with more!

So, that’s my progress in the quilt department so far this week. I’ve also found an old online friend I can gift a lot of my crazy quilting things (well, vintage linens and silk ribbon so far) to.  I’ve spent several days of going through boxes and bins and packing things up to mail to her. As well, I’ve been doing some serious deep cleaning and getting rid of Stuff. No, cleaning guru Marie Kondo has nothing to do with it. It might be just the time of year or even the time of my life, but owning accumulations and collections of Stuff doesn’t hold the appeal it did a couple decades ago. And I know that the more Stuff I get rid of now, the more my kids will appreciate it once I’m gone. What about you? Have you done any recent purging of Stuff?

10 comments:

  1. Two great projects Cathy! Your friends are going to love that quilt I know. I laughed when I read the reference to Marie Kondo - who I had never heard of prior to tonight and there's been two blogs I read that talked about her. I must check into it! As for purging - oh yes, it's been happening here. I too was thinking about what my kids would do with my 'stuff' and that certainly helped with the decision making. I have a ways to go but at least I've made a good start! Between actively downsizing on purpose, I've also been doing my best to use what I have in my stash, even if it's not quite 'right' for my project. It's amazing how creative I can get when I have sworn off buying new unless I absolutely am forced. For over a year now I haven't purchased any new books, either for crafting or reading for pleasure and I'm happy with that. I'm even happier with the two boxes of craft books I've recently culled from my collection that will be taken to the members sale at the quilt guild meeting in February - hopefully I'll sell a few and can afford to buy a sock knitting book I've been coveting for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, also purging here - mostly our basement which has been the place to put stuff since our kids left home. The upside is that my sewing room is down there, so I will definitely benefit from an improved space! Saguaro Sunset is beautiful, Cathy! It's going to be a lovely gift!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both projects are wonderful! The gradation you managed with the background is amazing. But I'm wondering if maybe you could use some fabric paints or other coloring method to graduate the plain yellows into the other backgrounds? They look good to me, but if you're like I am, you'll always know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your Sarasota Sunrise, it's gorgeous! And fun too. Hope you get both of them quilted and bond by the end of the month. I've not gotten as far as the sewing room yet, but we've started de-cluttering downstairs. It's nice to actually have a coat closet again, it was getting close to the closets you see on TV where someone opens the door and the contents from two rooms comes tumbling out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your cactus quilt. It is on my list of to-dos for my daughter who loves succulents.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to purge, but everything "sparks joy"!!! snicker, snicker
    The yellow at the bottom of the Saguaro draws your eye down the top, so you see the whole thing. I love it!

    Your selvage quilt is just in time and color for Valentine's Day! It's very pretty and soothing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a bittersweet post, Cathy.
    Sweet because of the pretty pink and blue - like a new baby's nursery. I love it. And yes the Saguaro Sunset is much more vibrant but I love them both. It is like the passion of the Saguaro Sunset led to the sweet twins - boy and girl suggested by the selvage quilt.
    Now the bitter part - what will happen to my things and accumulations after I am gone. Since we do not have kids these thoughts have crossed our minds too. Of course the local quilt guild will be happy to take fabrics, notions and finished quilts for charity purposes. But I can see myself destroying pictures and letters as I wait for the Grim Reaper.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Saguaro Sunset is impressive. I bet when it's quilted, the yellow on the bottom will blend in fine. We've been watching Marie Kondo while visiting family since we don't have don't have Netflix. I think the biggest benefit is that it seems to be encouraging people to at least consider de-cluttering. When I read the book a couple years ago, I laughed hysterically at some of her procedures, but even my husband has conceded he needs to purge some stuff when we get home. Let's hope the feeling lasts.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  9. Purging is a constant, ongoing process for me. Our storage is so limited and fills up so quickly that I need to stay on top of it All. The. Time. Fortunately, I actually do use up a lot of fabric so there's room for more :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great progress, and the cactus are so bright and happy.

    Meanwhile, there are two sorting theories active now...Marie Kondo and the goal for belongings to spark joy. Then there is Swedish Death Cleaning where you get rid of stuff your heirs won't want. My dilemma is that I have TWO cats...do I need both of them? Which of them sparks joy...how about at 4 AM? And no, there are no heirs that want either of them.
    Sigh.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!