Saturday, July 28, 2018

Recapping Red

Surprise, surprise! I may have been off galavanting around the globe this month, LOL, but I got my red scrap sewing homework done!  I’m joining up with Angela and the Rainbow Scrap Challenge gang for the Scrappy Saturday linkup and some red hot fun.

Before leaving for Africa on the 8th, I had sewn one of this month’s Squared Away blocks. Then this past week, I managed to sew a second one.


That completed all my regularly-scheduled red sewing, so I used my smaller scraps to sew up these ten crumb blocks, each measuring 6.5” (unfinished).


And that brings me to my Red Recap for July.


This month’s production included:
12 Selvage squares, 6.5”
2   Selvage squares, 4.5”
16 Quarter Log Cabins, 6.5”
6   Bow ties, 4.5”
1   Linked Squares, 16.5”
10 Crumb blocks, 6.5”
2   Squared Away blocks, 10.5”

For a total of 49 blocks.  

Before leaving on my trip, I also whipped out a cute little over-the-shoulder water bottle holder which came in handy for several days. I didn’t use a pattern, but just measured the water bottles - both my permanent aluminum container and a standard water bottle. Then I quilted a piece, sewed it in a cylinder, added a cross-body shoulder strap and boxed the bottom.


It came in very handy for carrying water, with my passport and money in my zip pouch around my waist. Totally hands-free. Until the dang money pouch zipper broke and our work days got longer and busier. So I switched to carrying a backpack instead, which carried everything (including my Maasai shuka blanket) for the day.  But I foresee lots more use of this holder in my future!

If you’re a casual Saturday reader of my blog, I’d just like to let you know that I’ve begun posting pictures and stories of my two-week trip to Kenya this month. The links are below.

PART 1:  Nairobi Elephant Orphanage, The Escarpment, Travel to Narok
PART 2:  Tenkes School in the Mau Forest and an Honorary Feast
PART 3:  Days for Girls and Lunch at a Mud Hut Farm

Maasai elders preparing nyama choma

I’ll be continuing the stories next week.  Thanks for dropping by!

12 comments:

  1. world traveler and quilter. what size do you consider a scrap?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of pretty reds, Cathy! Your water bottle carrier is a brilliant idea, too! Glad it worked well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your RED productivity astounds me!! Off to check out your travel posts...

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lot of red blocks! I love them all! Your bottle carrier is very clever, love it too! Looking forward to see your Kenya's photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of nice red blocks for a galavanter! I like the 3D effect of the quarter log cabins.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, you definitely have more red blocks than I do despite your trip to Kenya. Also, I may have forgotten to mention that it is wonderful to have you back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots of fun bits of red (even in Kenya)! I really like how the Squares Away blocks look round from afar.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You sure got a lot of blocks done. You must be related to Wonder Woman!!
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm amazed at how much you got done with all your travels. Hope you get a chance to put your feet up and rest a bit now that you are back.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, you were really productive before you left! I'm glad that gave you some breathing room once you returned. Cute water bottle idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great collection of blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. See? I told you 'She Who Walks Slowly' should be changed to 'She Who Walks Slowly, but Quilts Fastly'!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!