Thursday, May 3, 2018

May Sewing Goal for OMG

It’s time to link up once again to Elm Street Quilts monthly goal setting link party for OMG - One Monthly Goal.  



For May, my goal will be to finish this baby quilt for our daughter Stacy, who is expecting their daughter at the end of June or early July.  This is the status of the project so far. All the blocks are sewn, and I’ve decided to go with a plain white sashing instead of the wild gray and white print I’ve shown in previous postings. There will be colored cornerstones to tie it all together. The first row and the g and h from the second row are all sewn, and it’s looking good. Naturally, after the top is finished, I’ll need to layer it, then quilt and bind it. Although I probably won’t work on it until the second half of the month, it should be a piece of cake to finish. 


* * * * * * * * * * * * * 
In other news at our household, my brother Steve left today, after 9 months and one week of living with us. He is on his way to check out possible living scenarios in Grand Junction, Colorado and down through Arizona to the Lake Havasu area where he lived for 4 years prior to staying with us. We wish him well! But naturally, we are thrilled to have our privacy (and quiet) back. Once Steve finds where he wants to settle, he’ll be back again (we estimate in about 1-3 months) for a week or two to pack up his stuff and move. We have a storage shed full of his stuff, plus his hot rod in the carport and some furniture in a spare bedroom.

Bruce and I are planning to replace the two front bedroom windows in the house this year (then there is only the one window and the screen door in my walkout basement studio to replace next year). Once the windows are replaced, I will repaint the ceiling and trim (only) in the yellow guest bedroom and shampoo the gray carpet in there. That carpet is curiously more gray since Steve lived there; he was in and out so much and he never took off his shoes like I nagged asked begged him to. I won’t have to be sweeping and mopping floors as much either! YAY!! Anyway, I see a yellow and gray quilt in my future for the day bed in there!  :-)

Today is Bruce’s birthday, and we spent the day out at garden nurseries picking out roses and a trumpet vine for our back garden wall to fill in holes along the back that have needed plants for a couple years or more. We also bought another rose tree for our front porch area, several perennial shade-loving shrubs (including a hosta) for our front planters. It was sunny and beautiful. Then we had a Barnes & Noble date (coffee, magazines, checking out books) and walked over to our favorite restaurant for an early dinner. We’re home now, and since it’s still early evening, I promised I’d bake him a batch of his favorite oatmeal raisin cookies. 

Life is good!

10 comments:

  1. This looks wonderful! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck with your project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very unique and charming baby quilt. It will be treasured (and hopefully well-used, not put away for safe keeping).
    Happy birthday, Bruce. Sounds like you had a fun day.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like things will be getting calmer and more peaceful in your household. Happy belated birthday to Bruce :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Bruce!!! I chuckled when you said you were getting garden stuff on his birthday...my daughter took me to a nice brunch on my birthday (the 1st) and after we were going to go get pedicures. All the salons were very busy, so we went and rented a rototiller to start my raised bed garden! I suppose that makes us farm girls officially now...our gardens are more important than pretty toes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute Baby quilt. Happy Birthday Bruce, Sounds like a very nice way to spend the day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy, albeit now belated, birth day wishes to Bruce! I like the white choice for the sashing too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It’s going to make a lovely baby quilt! The colors are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm - oatmeal raisin - my favorite, too! I can't make them or bring them into the house - I'll eat every one of them myself!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This quilt is absolutely adorable, what a great use of alphabet fabric. Bless you for hosting your brother for all these months, you are a far better sister than I. I hope he happily finds a new abode. I also need some new windows and have carpets that need attention.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!