Saturday, November 26, 2016

Rainbow Scrap Cats Again

This week I finished the pink litter of kittens with their Mama Cat. It was the final litter for the final kitten quilt. I am making three kitten quilts, and each has six litters.


A litter consists of 1 mama cat and 12 kittens. That means there were 18 litters total in the three quilts; 18 mama cat (12” blocks) and 216 kitten blocks (6”).  All were pieced this year as part of my personal use of scraps for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.


This is the only kitten quilt with yellow, and I think it adds a real bright, happy punch to the mix. I am thrilled to have the flimsy done. There are a couple yards left of the blue cat fabric that I backed the other 2 quilts with. This quilt will use that and some pink polka-dot fabric for the back.  It will be basted and quilted in a couple weeks.

And then yesterday I started piecing the final Christmas quilt. This will be for my son Ryan. All the rest of my Christmas quilts are either done or to the flimsy stage; some are basted and ready to quilt, some are not. But this one was just a couple jelly rolls until yesterday afternoon.  Anyway, these are the light and medium light strips in the set. The rest of the mediums and the darks are yet to come, and I plan for them to be more to the outside of the quilt. We’ll see how that goes. I’m calling it November Rain, because the colors remind me of November, and Ryan used to love (and still does) the music of Axl Rose (Guns ’n Roses) and their song November Rain. So there you have it.

Add caption
I have pieced 16 blocks of the 48 needed.  I put 4 black 1.5” strips and 5 colored 2.5” strips side by side and sewed them into a lengthwise strip set. From that I am able to cut out 3 14.25” squares. Two of those squares are placed right sides together, one with stripes running up and down, the other with stripes running across. Then they are sewn together on all 4 sides with a 1/4” seam. Finally, they are cut diagonally (X) and it yields four individual blocks. I am using the 1.5” black stripes at the ends (and a couple in the middle), and that really sets off the contrasting colors and directions. I am going to have a lot of fun playing with these blocks to come up with a final placement. Expect a post on that later in the week.

And if you missed my last post (because it was mid-week and not a Saturday), I finished my orange peel quilt for my DDIL. You can see it here.

I’m linking up to Scrappy Saturday over at Angela’s So Scrappy blog. If you mosey on over there, you will see lots of colorful eye candy as we all sew our little fingers to the bone trying to finish in time for Christmas.

Cathy maroon

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for adding the link to your Orange Peel finish. Good luck with the last Kitty Quilt and Ryan's November Rain!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a fabulous quilt! What a great idea to have colour litters... so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe how many kitties you made!!! And adorable, each and every one!
    I'm looking forward to seeing your son's quilt as it grows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are the Ultimate Cat Lady! WOW! I am so impressed with the amounts of kittens in there. Are you, at least, running out of scraps? No? Not even close? They are gorgeous quilts and lucky are the recipients of these. Your son's quilt has an awesome design. Is it your own? I love it! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those cat quilts will be cherished by the kids for years to come! How cute! And, yes, I think yellow is a nice addition.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those cats are amazing! I love seeing all the kitty litters together! :) Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always love your mama cats and kittens! Do you have a favorite among the three you've made? This one is so pretty with its mix of colors! You are an ambitiius Christmas quilter, for sure, with all those projects going on. What a treat for your family! Hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving, Cathy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your latest kitty quilt is so much fun. I'll bet you are secretly a little glad that you're done making kitties though! I love the new one you're doing for your son too - good thing my boys can't see it or they'd be trying to convince me that they need one too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Each litter you've done has been fun, with the variety of genetic variation in each litter, some like the Mama, some so different. I love them all, especially as a whole quilt. Congrats! Your,November Rain is a really dramatic version of the pattern with those black strips added. Can't wait to see it finished. Should be amazing! Good luck with all your gift projects and the house as well. Have a fun week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The yellow really does give and extra happy pop of color. What a fun collection of cats! Enjoy the finishing up.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!