Thursday, May 17, 2012

Swapping Tins

On the Crazy Quilting International group, we had another Tin Swap.  Participants were asked to decorate a tin approximately the size of an Altoids tin. We were all given swap partners.  In finished my tin yesterday (a day late, I might add, but that does not surprise you, does it?).   It is now on its way to Sandy R, so I can now show a few pictures.

Above: The top of the tin.  I pieced a small covering for the lid portion in Sandra’s colors of burgundy, green and pink (with cream and gold accents).  To keep the ends from fraying, I backed it with fusible interfacing (the knit tricot kind) before beginning the stitching.  It really helps when working in such small scale.

 This is a side view.  After the top was stitched and glued down, I covered the various edges.  It was a lot of fun auditioning potential trims for this job!


I always like to add “feet” (four wooden beads) to my tins so they stand up a little higher. It also allows you to select slightly longer trims for the sides. The bottom was first covered with a thin green fabric (you can still see the writing beneath it, but that is not a big deal; I just wanted the tin covered).  The purple flower was just a machine-embroidered motif on the fabric. I thought it would be cute to include it.


The inside is a quilted satin fabric - a vintage piece I have had for years and use sparingly here and there.  I actually did the inside FIRST by glueing down the two lining pieces and then glueing trims down to cover the raw edges.

And of course, once it was finished, I filled it with some lacey goodness for Sandra!

Until next time,
Cathy maroon

5 comments:

  1. Oh Wow!! This is so cool and so lovely-what a neat idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That turned out beautifully Cathy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet little tin! She's gonna love it...!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is definitely something I want to try. It is so cute. The problem is that I am afraid to use glue. It gets everywhere except on the places where I want it.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!