Thursday, May 20, 2010

Wheeler Farm Spring Cleaning

You may remember that last year I told you about how Hampton Inn had an online voting contest for their annual "Save a Landmark" project.   The county-owned historical working farm where I am employed as a part-time bookkeeper had been nominated for the Western Region.  Well, thanks to you lovely people and your support, we won the voting.


Earlier this week, a crew of 50+ volunteers from Hampton Inns in the Utah area converged on Wheeler Farm and began spring clean-up and other projects.  This year it was particularly needed and appreciated, because Salt Lake County has cut our budget (it's the same everywhere isn't it?  the economy....) and we just didn't have time or money to accomplish all that needs to be done.


Well, I forgot my camera, (the above pictures were taken two years ago) but luckily there were TV stations and newspapers on hand to record the events. Check out these pictures and articles from today's Salt Lake Tribune and Deseret News.   


Also, we do allow photographers on the property, although it is supposed to be for personal photos (weddings, family reunions).  Commercial entities are usually charged if they use our venue for advertising purposes.  This one slipped by us (no comment), but since her photos are lovely, I'm posting one of her pictures here.  You can see others on her blog.  Enough said.

Part 2 of this program will take place in August.  The funds donated by Hampton Inn will be used to refurbish the historic farmhouse brick and porch.

Again, thank you to everyone who took the time to vote.  And thank you to Hampton Inns for their generous donation of $10,000.00 plus all the volunteer labor.  I love it when a community works together!  I'll certainly do my part to support them in the future!
Cathy maroon



1 comment:

  1. Congratulations to you and all your team at Wheeler Farm - well deserved! I was a volunteer for a National Trust property here a few years ago, and I know what an uphill battle it is, getting funding, volunteers, and all that goes with trying to renovate and old property, and keep it up to scratch for visitors.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!