Friday, August 1, 2008

Dr. Randy Pausch

You may or may not be aware that Dr. Randy Pausch died on July 25th. He has been featured on numerous television shows and magazines. His most notable lecture was entitled "Really Achieving Your Childhood Dreams" but has been dubbed "The Last Lecture". It was given last September at Carnegie-Mellon University, where he announced the recurrence of his pancreatic cancer. In the face of certain death, he refused to feel sorry for himself or to be an object of pity. Rather, he felt it was important to share the life lessons he's learned from his family. The lecture, he said, is for his children.

On his website, linked above, you can watch the full hour-plus lecture, or you can see a reprise of The Last Lecture he gave on the Oprah Winfrey show here (an approximate 10 minute version). It moves me to tears whenever I watch it.

He was a truly good man and lived an honorable life. He will be missed.

1 comment:

  1. Oh gosh, I just saw his lecture 6 weeks ago on TV. He was such an inspiration, and I really was emotional watching him and knowing this guy knows he is about to die. I hope his words continue to wake people up and realize life is incredibly too short and we need to treat people like we want to be treated,and not disposable. Thanks for the update.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my blog and love your comments!